Hey Cutbaiters…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I’m perusing Catfish Connection to make a stock-up order and I want some good cutbait hooks. What’s the concensus out there on the best hook for under 50 cents a hook? I tried the ultra-expensive Daiichi Chunk Lites and I like them, but is there something reliable for a more reasonable price?

I’m mainly throwing out one cutbait line while flatheading, or prior to going to a fully LIVE presentation and I’m not as interested in the channels as in the odd cutbait eating flathead, so I’ll probably be using a pretty sizable chunk of mooneye most of the time.

Last year I tried many hooks and had a pretty bad hookup ratio. One night I missed three great hits in a row (in about five minutes)on circles – the kind where the rod is bowing and drag is coming out and I grab the rod and promptly lose the fish. I don’t care if what I end up with is a circle or not – I just want the danged fish to stay on.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I might suggest staying to lighter wire hooks on cubait rods if your having difficulty getting a hook into a fish. I have found my hookup ratio much better when the fish are finicky staying away from big meat hooks you could pull your truck out of the ditch with. For flathead size cutbait I am usually fishing with a 5/0, or 6/0 hook depending on the chunk of meat hooked to it. I have problems with smaller hooks for flatheads, it seems the gap must be large enough to fit around the jaw for a good hookup ratio, and solid hooksets. If we go too large with a hook, it greatly reduces the number of bites.

The Gamakatsu octopus hooks are pretty good all around hooks, and they are what I use most of the time. I like circle hooks when fishing smaller bait presentations early in the year, but I am not in love with them for finicky bites. If the fish are taking it and bending the rod over and still getting off the line, a stiffer rod might be in order to bury the hook into the fish quicker. They will not get off once the barb is buried. More resistence on the line is a better chance the hook will sink in.

When the fish are moving with the bait(bending the rod over), my hookup rate is just as good with strait shank hooks as they are circle.

I guess is just a matter of trial and error. Often I have to rip the hook into the fish as soon as I see the rod twitch to get a hook into the fish, other days we cant do anything wrong.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Matt, I haven’t used ALL the circle hook by any means, but I’ve petty much ended my cutbait search with Gamakatsu G209 Octopus Circle’s in size 7/0. 6 @ $3.45 or .58 cents each.

I do plan on trying the G221’s this year. They aren’t off set. I’m not a big believer in red hooks (color of hook makes a differance?).

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Matt,

My choice for an inexpensive alternative to circle chunk lites…would be the same as Brian’s I like those hooks almost as much as the daiichi’s

Jason.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

My circle hook fishing for cats has been limited to channels with the occasional flathead taking the bait. With that said I have had excellent luck with the Gamakatsu Octupus Cirle in 8/0 (G20825). 25 pack for $8.25 (0.33 cents each). These hooks are tough as nails, super sharp, and light wire so they penetrate easier. I would estimate my hookup ratio at 98% and once hooked I have never lost a fish. I use the same hook for sturgeon fishing too. I have used the Daichi circle chunk lights and have not had luck and they are too expensive. Hope this helps.

Mike T.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m another one on the Gamakatsu circle bandwagon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ralph, you fish the MN mostly don’t you?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nope, Brian, mostly the Miss.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Nope, Brian, mostly the Miss.

Ok, Brians on a roll here….Next question Brian?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

How limber is your rod tip? I would think with the softer rod tip the circle hook would set itself. Am I wrong? Whats everyone elses opinions on circle hooks as far as softer or stiffer rod tip? I’m new to catin so I very much welcome everyones opinions.

Thanks, Bill

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Having a softer tip and rod in general is a MUST for circle hooks. Using a stiff rod with a fast tip will bring you nothing but swear words and catfish headaches…I promise!!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The rod I have for Catin [first rod bought for catfishing] is a 7′ Ugly Stik med heavy spinning rod. Will this rod work well for using circle hooks? If not, then what rods will?

Thanks, Bill

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You’ll probably be fine, though 7′ might be a little short. Ugly Sticks are pretty limber, so I would think it would do an alright job of loading up slowly. Just remember, don’t set the hook, let the rod do the work.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bill, I have the same rod and I wish I would have known you were looking for one, ’cause I would have given you a heck of a deal on it!

It’s going to work just fine for you. Have you picked up a reel for it yet….catten time is a coming!

Which reminds me…I was down to the King Power Plant in Bayport the other day…notice I needed to respool a couple of my 7000 as there wasn’t much line on them…

Gotta find the extra Power Pro I bought from Hooked on Fishing!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The hooks above are all good options. Once the rod loads up try cranking the crank 5 times nice and steady before removing your rod. You will be amazed at how this improves your rate of return.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the info guys.

Brian, I figured I’d just go with one of my bigger Okumas for now. Are you selling your ugly stik rod? Getting something better or just don’t like it?

Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yup…I’ll get around to posting it one of these days. $19.00 will take it…shipping extra.

I replace it with a custom Mike Fisher rod. Had one made for my wife…(but I’m going to be “using” it).

Hunter green thread…heck, I can’t recall all the neet stuff Mike did to it for me. Just know, I want to see how it feels dragging a 25 pound brick down the drive way!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Is it a spinning rod or a baitcaster?
    Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s actually listed as both…but the handle doesn’t have the trigger..so, I consider it a spinning rod.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.