Ben’s back….

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Had a great night with the two nephews and my son, if you were within three states, you probably heard us. Ben and Ced swam while his brother Adam and I caught bait – took no time at all. They bit like crazy. Anyway, we set up on a spot based partly on a hunch and mainly on the wind. Right away we caught tons of cutbait and tried that out to no avail. Within minutes of tossing bluegills out, however, I had my first flat on. I ended up losing it in a snag, but it was encouraging to finally get an early hit…

Well… the early hit was all there was for nearly two hours. I was about to call it a night when I saw Adam’s rod bent over and pointing to the hole. I shouted that he had a hit, but Ben was faster on the draw and grabbed the rod and laid into a biggun. I told Ben to give his brother the rod, but just then Adam’s other rod bent over and he had his own fish to fight.

To make a long story short, it was a lopsided double, and Ben got the better of it – a 49 pounder, his new personal best. Adam got his personal best too, with a 19 pounder but that all somehow lost lustre by comparison. Anyway, here’s a pic (and trust me, they were NOT asleep at this point!):

That was all – we stayed to see if the double was an indication of more to come – you just about have to – but no.

Happy Hunting,

Matt

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What a way to welcome Ben back!!!

Here I thought all that hooting and hollering was coming from a Redwing bar!

Matt, did you hook him on one of those light wire 5/0 circles too?

Both beautiful fish!!

mile832
    MN

Awesome fish! 49lbs is really something to be proud of.

emover
    Malcom, IA

2 personal bests in one night,

dave

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Thats Freaking INSANE.

LazyEye
    Wisconsin

Matt what are those two standing in a sand box? or did you make a new boat out of wood. God Bless

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

My dad renews the 25 year old jonboat every now and then with a paint job and some fresh carpet. It’s holding up quite well considering the hard use it’s been under – only one or two hours of welding on it and it barely leaks!

mudcatkid
    On water

awesome picture matt!!!!!! Both fish are huge, but that 49 lber looks mammoth!!

i’ve been gettin ready for goose season, so I’ve been out very minimal, and when i do – week night or weekend – i am runnin into lots of traffic.

nice work!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Brian…let me know when you want to go out…I’ve got a couple spots where I haven’t seen anyone in weeks…I still think I’m going to the wrong places!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great job dudes. Both fish are dandy’s
    I have to ask. Are they still deeper, or now that it cooled down should I start shallow again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.