Gut Hooked!

• mile832
    MN

I recently came across this article which has a technique for removing a hook from the gullet. I had a chance to try it last night on a deeply hooked flathead, and it worked quite well. A similar article in the In-Fisherman magazine (Feb 2005) stated cutting the line should be a last resort.

For catfish, the only thing I would recommend, is a long needlenose pliers. My Leatherman worked for me last night, but was a little on the small side. Good luck!

Hook Removal

newt
    Pillager, MN

Wow! What a great tip! Thanks for posting.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Yes, the method works very well when/if you can still see the shank of the hook. I quit doing it on flatheads years back.. I ended up bleeding many times from the fish thrashing and attempting the alligator roll with my wrist in line with the teeth… the only way we can get these fish to stay reasonably still is by laying them on their belly.. that doesnt help us access the gills.

If its going to take 10 minutes to get the hook out on a hot night, it might be better for the fish to swim with a hook.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Mile 832, thanks for the post also! Pictures like this help me out more than descriptions. Hopefully, I don’t have to use the technique too much.

mile832
    MN

I think it’s a good idea to use a glove on the hand your going to reach into the mouth with. If you can’t see the hook shank, gently pull on the line and it should become visible.

I think it would be much better to take 3-5 minutes to remove the hook from a fish that will most likely die if you leave it in. Many fish hooked in the gullet cannot swallow and will eventually starve. A 10/0 nickel plated hook will not rust out quickly.

It took me a good five minutes to get the hook out last night but it was my first time trying it. The fish didn’t bleed at all and swam away just fine. It should get easier each time you do it. Its a great way to save a fish and some tackle.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Good tip, but as mentioned.. If it’s questionable you are better off to just clip the line as close to the hook as possible. Fish will generally pass a hook in a matter of weeks (hopefully to no harm).

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Actually it is now recommended that you leave 12-14 inches of line, this will drag/position the hook to one side or the other and avoid the hook becoming a obstacle to feeding. Ain’t dat sumthin!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Great Post! Tim!

I’m going to have to read through that again though…where you using a gamma when you tried it?

There’s a lot of chatter about circle hooks (this month In-Fisherman ect.) I’m going to give them a try…going to miss the hook set though…but..less gut hooked fish is a win!

mile832
    MN

It was a 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus style.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This is a great tip and I definatly will put it to good use. Deep hooked fish have always been a source of frustration for me. I usually would cut the line, but I was never confident that they would survive. Especially the smaller fish where it loooked like it was just to much of an obstruction.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

great tip Tim, it worked well for me friday night. the solo flat i caught friday night was gut hooked and when i eye guide was looking for the needle nose i remembered this post and gave it a try and it worked slick came rite out.

CA

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

ttt

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

I’ve been using big circle hooks for flatheads and have had good luck. Just don’t be skimpy on the size of the circle hook. Just look at the size of a flathead’s mouth, I would go with a big hook… It seems so rare for a gut hook on a circle. I can only recall it twice and once was a fluke walleye that wouldn’t run with the bait : P

audemp
    Wi

I have been using 8/0 gami circles they have a wider gap than the 13/0 diachi circles I used last year. What size and type do you prefer?

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

I use the same hook Audemp. 8/0 gami circle..

I think the gap is important. It seems like the side of their mouth can be about the same thickness as your finger is.. Make sure that much can get through the gap.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had my first bad hookup with a flat yesterday. He was only about 7#s, but the circle found the orbit of his eye. It didn’t penetrate the eyeball, but it (the eye) was moving as I worked the hook out. I did the best I could to not damage it. It looked ok when I was done. Before that I believe every one I have caught has been in the jaw bone, and the majority the corner hinge of the mouth.

I love using circles. It took a while to get used to the proper hookset, but now I am used to it.

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

I’ve had a couple of gut hooked walleyes lately.. while fishing with live bait and a 8/0 circle hook. Do they just inhale the larger baits ? Last night I’m sure I caught it right when it bit but still had the same results. I wonder if this removal method would work for circles? (they tend to catch on things) Last night I took one look, didn’t even see the 8/0, and cut the line.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

I’ve had a couple of gut hooked walleyes lately.. while fishing with live bait and a 8/0 circle hook. Do they just inhale the larger baits ? Last night I’m sure I caught it right when it bit but still had the same results. I wonder if this removal method would work for circles? (they tend to catch on things) Last night I took one look, didn’t even see the 8/0, and cut the line.

Something with the walleyes. Been there and done that.
    I don’t think that they telegraph the bit like cats do and when you got them they are hooked deep.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good point about the circles. I wonder how hard it would be to get a circle out with that technique. It looks real easy when it is a long shanked worm hook like they have in the diagram.

mile832
    MN

I found out yesterday Kahle hooks are very tough to take out. I was 1 for 2 yesterday on gut hooked fish. I guess its flathead for dinner tonight…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.