Out last night…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Snuck out for a few hours alone last night and had a pretty good time. The gale force winds almost kept some of the mosquitos away. Caught a mooneye to cut up and shortly after sunset I had my first hit (from a non-gar,turtle, dogfish). I was fighting the channel when one of my flathead rigs started screaming and I was left with two good fights at once. I pulled the channel in close enough to avoid wood then let the rodholder take over the fight while I pulled the flat out of the snag. Eventually managed them both to the boat (channel – 8 pounds, flathead – 10):

About 5 minutes later another run came on the flat rig and I had the pleasure of fighting a 24 pounder in about two feet of water – lots of commotion but not lots of power. Anyway, this one was pretty beat up (I’m presuming it’s from digging out a nesting hole):

Those little flecks are not snow, they’re mosquitos, of course – last time I forget long pants!

Happy Hunting,

Matt

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Nice legs!!! Some of the bigger fish I got last weekend were lookin pretty rough too, would be neat to see exactly how they do that to themselves, I’m not sure if it’s creating spawning sites, or territorialism (fighting), either way it looks like it hurts. Looks like double duty last night…I like that. Nice fish.

Jason.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice fish flathead

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

This must have been from digging:

The only other way it could be so abraded is if this guy’s head was in the mouth of another one for quite some time, and it doesn’t show the “flathead tracks” on the adjacent skin areas.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Looks like you had a good night Matt!

What time did they start for you?

And

Was there any marks on the underside of the big boy?

PS You need to get those legs tanned up a bit!

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

FlatHead,

Very nice fish and photos!

The website you’ve put together is also impressive and informative.

CR

daruoho
    Wauzeka

I believe that they spin in the hole to dig it out. They need a clean gravel or mud/clay bottom that it silt free.

rburns
    Wisconsin

It is strange that they do it to such a degree.
    You have to wonder how many of them get serious infections after doing that.

Are there any openings on the list on the cottonwood tree?
    I haven’t caught any 40 pounders yet. What am I doing wrong?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The wonders on flathead slime!

RB, it looks like no one signed in since Thursday. You’ll have to sign a contract with the devil.

daruoho
    Wauzeka

AS of right now there is no one on the sign-up sheet. so there should be no one fishing that spot right Briank!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Didn’t mean to call you the devil Dan!

We pretty much go skunked the last time we fished it…Last Thursday. I was by there twice since and didn’t see anyone…but then sometimes you have to get pretty close to see them.

With the wind storm last Friday morning, there’s a ton of new structure along the MN shoreline on the main channel…might be good this fall!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.