Out last night…

• flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Went baitfishing with the boy yesterday and came up almost empty – one bluegill. I took him to his grandparents and came back down to fill the bait tank but only caught a few small perch. I set up on an old favorite spot and was enjoying the quiet when a warden came by and checked me. Turns out he’s a flathead fisherman too, and we sat talking about flatheads and I questioned him for quite awhile trying to get some clarity on the baitfish laws. Anyway, his boat drug mine off anchor a bit and it must have been a good thing because when he pushed off finally I had a hit and caught my first flathead of the year – a plump little 12 pounder – he watched the fight – seemed to be a pretty nice guy.

I’d attach a picture but the camera’s on the fritz. Could be a problem since I don’t have the jing to fix it right now. Lens won’t retract when I shut it off and when I start it, it gives me an error code and does nothing but beep. Danged digital cameras… hope there’s someone around who can fix it and soon…

Good to get out and break the ice. By the way, the flat hit one of the small perch (which I don’t usually prefer as bait). Water’s about 63 degrees and slowly dropping, still quite a bit of garbage floating but not enough to make things too much of a hassle.

Happy Hunting,

Matt

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I bet it feels good again..huh? I’m going to have to just get out there and chance the rain.

Mile High and I were out a week or so ago seining for bullheads. Again the weather was like today..threatening rain and temps below normal. We put the net in three differant lakes only to find a few one inch sunnies and millions of crappie minnow. Commancharo stopped by to help us out…zero bullies…figured it was just the weather.

Matt, did the CO offer any insights to the bait laws for WI?

PS YOU of all people need to get your camera fix! I’m guessing you’ll break your personal best this year… and when that happens…your avitar will show two little eyes in the corner and the rest will be the color of a flathead.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.