Lever Drag Reels

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Any of you guys have any experience with lever drag reels for catfishing? Pro’s and cons? I’ve been thinking of trying one but I’m not sure if they would offer any advantages or not??

mile832
    MN

Abu Garcia has a 7000 lever drag model, the only difference I think is the lever drag may have a slightly lower gear ratio for more power. I think it would be good to have if you need to adjust your drag often.

rburns
    Wisconsin

I’ve played around with them. I think the quicker easier adjustment might come in handy, during a fight. Also it may be easier to consistantly set up your drag back where you want it if you noted the position of the lever.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I think it would rock.. The $$$ is holding me back. I fish from rod holders and the idea of being able to set a drag light and then clamp it down quickly appeals to me a lot. they make levers in 65 or 6600’s too.

jeremy99
    IN

I personally don’t like them for the money. I use nothing but 7000C3 reels. I bought a lever drag when they first came out and didn’t like it. For one I thought the casting of it was a lor rougher then a regualer reel. It would take a while to get into the habbit of pushing the drag lever back up after you casted also. Not only that but they’re a lot of money. I’ll stick to my 7000C3 reels for now. How about those 10000 reels. Has anyone tryed them out yet? I haven’t heard anything on them really. I would think that they would be to big.
    Jeremy
    http://www.tanglingwithcatfish.com

dark30
    Belle Plaine, Mn.

I was looking at the lever drag 7000 also but decided to go with the regular one ….I’ll let my thumb be the lever drag.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’ve got a 9000, but not the 10000. Its a fine reel and works well. I use it usually for my heaviest baits and weights. I have two 7000’s and they are a classic but it is REALLY time for Garcia to step up to the plate and offer the 7000’s with infinite anti reverse.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When I was fishing with Rick Gebhardt in MO, he had a new Shakespear lever drag (don’t know the model, but it was set up for blues). He said they were priced under $70. It looked sweet…but since I’ve invested in my 7000’s last year, I’m not looking to change in the near future.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.