TURKEY HUNTING

• larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Well since fishing hasn’t been the greatest, who is getting pumped for turkey hunting. There is nothing like wakin up in the morning to a bunc of gobblers ringin through the valley and just getting your adrenaline running. Turkeys hunting is a great thing. anybody else out there getting pumped.?

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

THis will be my first year so I’m exactly sure what to expect. I’m hunting with a [party that has access to a number of private farms so we shouldn’t have to worry about places to hunt. I’m trying to do some reading and watching videos but I’m sure nothing can be like actually being there. Trying to scrape together money for all my “turkey gear” without the wife catching on to how much I’m spending.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

It’s addictting!!!!!!! Been doing it for about 12 years now which means I got to hunt about 5years for spring birds. Last year it would of been 3 years since we were picked to hunt. So we picked the first season, got picked and the first morning I had 2 toms come running in on me. I turned around and shot, not waiting for it to fan out or make noises I just shot. 23lb 9 1/2 inch beard was done and back to the truck by7:30 but my friend had the keys and came back about 10:30. He hunted the rest of the season with no luck. We put in for may 17-22 this year thinking everybody would be fishing walleye lake opener. Guess what we got picked again. The only thing more exciting then them toms gobbeling in the morning is to be down in one of the valleys before light and have a pack of coyotes cut loose howling, you can match the sound with rock concerts. Real loud,and glad you have a gun at the time.We get picked every fall and have done well there to.Remember this years hours go from half hour before sunrise until 5:00 changed from last year was noon. Jim

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Yeah there is nothing that can quite explain it. It is pretty awesome to turkey hunting.

Cyclone
    Minnesota, New Brighton

I think that I am going to try my hand at it again this year. I hunt down in Iowa and there is a good population this year. I hope that I get after one. Any tips that I should know of before I hit the woods? Your right turkey hunting is a good way to pass a weekend when fishing is a little slow.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Yep I’ll be out again. I usually allways get at least one tag and ususlly hunt close to the house but this time I may hunt an Island on the Chippewa. I can fish walleye’s and call to the turkeys. Anyone else hunting zone 20 Wisconsin 2nd season. Steve

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

For Minnesota hunters that forgot to apply for their permit, I

see they are having a free for all for leftover permits again

this year

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

If I read the press release on the DNR website correctly it looks to me like the free for all is only available to unsuccessful applicants – not for those who didn’t apply – but I could be wrong. We waited 3 years to get drawn for the first season. Do you guys who hunt later seasons feel like your chances are diminished because the birds have been called to and possibly shot at?

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

I don’t hunt in minnesota blue fin, but last year in wisconsin the 3rd and 4th seasons were better than the 1st and second. It depends what is going on with the enviroment. You never know what is going to be the best, but there are so many places to hunt as if minnesota was like wisconsin you can practically turkey hunt everywhere

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I think MN only gives out 10 – 20% of the number of turkey tags that WI does. The group I am going with has always tried to go first season with the hopes of finding that the birds might be a little less wary but who knows. First season here is the middle of April so there is potential for nasty weather. I guess thats part of the fun

yellowlab

Bluefin we will get you on birds the rest is up to you. Just dial in that Black Eagle and pull the trigger.

Since this is the Catfish forum: we are hunting down by the LaCrescent area, are there any catfishing spots that could be accessed from shore that might be worthwhile. Neither BlueFin or I know a whole lot about catching these fish but their potential size makes them intriguing.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

yellowlab- I hope you don’t stumble around the turkey woods as much as you do the salmon/steelhead rivers. Catfishing would be a fun way to spend some time. yellowlab asked for shorefishing spots but we could always bring the 14′ Bluefin to get on the river. Any suggestions?

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

We tried one of the second chance permits last year and had horrible success but a lot of fun. Second to last season – birds answered but did not come in. Bonus was the weather was very nice – beautiful to be in the woods – was especially good because at that time we couldn’t be on the river(high water)

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I suppose the nice thing about the second chance permits is that you get a chance to get out in the woods with a gun and it doesn’t affect your preference. The more practice the better. I’m in Bloomington and have seen turkeys nearby that I would like to try practicing my calling on. That is if I can get time away from the family (gotta save the clearance time for the actual hunting!).

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

You should probably call the C.O. for your area and just double-check that practicing on live birds is ok. It wouldn’t surprise me if they had dates/places/times that were restricted.

Best of luck to all who venture out – JJ

dball
    Clemson, SC

Cyclone

Where about in Iowa? Co.?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.