Carry Gun?

• rschmidty

I recently got my permit to carry and I’m trying to decide what gun I should get.

I’m not sure yet how much I will actually carry but it will also be used for home defense and some recreational shooting on the range and on the farm so I’m looking for a gun that would hit all three buckets.

I’ve done a little research and have found the usual players like Glock’s 19,23,26,27, M&P Shield, M&P 40C, Taurus PT111, Bersa Thunder .380, Beretta Nano, Springfield XDM Compact, Sig Sauer P220/P320, Kahr CM9.

I’m probably missing some but it’s a good list. Just curious what others are using, what they like/don’t like. Because of budget, I can only have one which is why I’m looking for it to cover those three areas.

Thanks!

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

M&P Shield in the 9mm. Light enough to carry without reservation. Good price too for what you get. Never carry the Glock .40 anymore.

404 ERROR
    MN

Glock 19 or Kahr PM9. I’ve gone through the S&W and Springfield’s and nothing felt as good as those two for ME. The Kahr PM9 is far from enjoyable to shoot, but dang, I’m accurate with it. The 19 is a great range and carry piece, I have had at least 1 of them since I turned 21 and don’t plan on switching to anything else.

Get a few suggestions and head to the gun shop and get them in your hands. You will know immediately what piece you prefer based on feel. Be mindful that the lighter the gun, the higher the felt recoil. Holster recommendations are also just that, recommendations. I have used well over a dozen holsters and all but 2 sit in a drawer, never to be used again. It all comes down to how it feels while you’re carrying and shooting the gun.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Also keep on mind things like price of ammo and how readily available it is.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I carry a shield 9 mm also. I think you get alot for the price with this piece. You get two mags, which is nice. One 8 round with extended mag which gives you some extra grip on the end of the butt, and one 7 which is a little easier to conceal since it is shorter.

I also like the safety, its easy to reach and find with your thumb.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I like my Walther pps. Accurate fun to shoot conceals well. Very happy with it.

Mwal

WalleyeThai
    Woodbury

Glock 26 when out, and about, and for a good concealment, Glock 30 Wherever else. Both on the Fobus holster.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just as important as your carry gun is your holster. Make sure the two work well together and is very comfortable to use.

-J.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Like fishing rods there’s no one tool that’s perfect for all three jobs listed.

x2 with Merican Eagle

The closest to Goldilocks are ones of the same size profile as the G19/23. When I’ve had the same question that’s where I went.

My short list:
    Glock 19/23
    M&P 9/40C
    Sig 320
    HK P2000(own this one w/LEM trigger)

Tough to argue with 9mm for price and availability.

Troy Feeken

I carry a Shield 9mm with the thumb safety in an Alien IWB holster. Love it. I’ve got pretty big hands and even with the non pinky, short mag, I shoot it very accurately even at longer distances. In face I used it for completing my Class2 shooting requirement for my North Dakota CCW license even though I could have used a full frame weapon. Highly recommend it.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Just as important as your carry gun is your holster. Make sure the two work well together and is very comfortable to use.

-J.

Also a good gun belt makes a big difference

Dan
    Southeast MN

I carry a Shield .40 and I believe the holster brand is Tempest. I’d never heard of that brand before but I really like it. It’s an inside the waistband holster.

Some good advice is to, if you can, try the holster and gun on and maybe even work on drawing and shooting from that holster. If you get something that creates too much of a “print” (where someone can tell you’re carrying) or if it’s uncomfortable, you may be less inclined to carry which defeats the purpose of what you’re trying to achieve.

dairycat

Shield 9mm with a Crossbreed holster. Nice combo

Charles

I was watching something about this and the TV show was talking about what is the best conceal and carry. Well, a .357 mag made their list, personally I would carry a .40 or .45 stopping power.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Call me weird….or old fashion….a decent .38 +P revolver…..
    I use a .44SP Bulldog….It bites the hand that feeds it but I think it will bite the other way just as hard grin

Hudson8907
    NULL

Check out a Glock 43

It’s been my daily driver for 2 years now. I love it.

keppenhiemer
    (507) MN

I have four carry guns I use for different reasons.

m&p shield 9mm. usually carry in the summer with light clothing inside the waistband with a cross breed holster. its light and accurate but only holds 7-9rnds

Glock 19 9mm. fall/winter carry outside the waistband holster easy to conceal with a flannel or a hoodie. lots of options for cool upgrades. ie trigger work slide mods etc it would be the gun I would want to have on me if I ever had to put work in! however I did not like the feel of the gun until I undercut the trigger guard and dropped in a better trigger.

1911 45 officers model. my first carry gun and I used to love it. i wear it inside the waistband. its an all steel frame and very heavy pulls my pants down as I walk and move shoots great but requires lots of upkeep and maintenance. replace recoil springs every 5-800 rds keep oiled etc cool gun but now it just sits in my bedside fastsafe.

357 s&w k frame 4 inch. fantastic gun love it! it hides poorly but shoots great I carry outside the pants on a heavy belt when im up north in bear county. i keep it heeled when I ride four wheelers bait bear etc.

in my opinion if I had to choose one to do it all…it would be the glock 19 however the best gun to have is the one you will wear so maybe the shield would be best..

jwellsy

Call around to local indoor ranges and ask if they rent handguns. Many ranges rent popular models. That way you can try before you buy.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

The one I carry the most often is S&W 38+ revolver. The other that I carry is a 9mm Ruger.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ask people actively at the range, what are you carrying right now and what do you carry everyday ? The bigger the better, does not work when it’s at home in the safe because it’s too big. I carry my .380 bodyguard EVERYDAY. Have been thinking of going a little bigger, but haven’t pulled the trigger…. yet. devil

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Smith & wesson performance center 40 fits the bill for me. Fit is good and shoot it well for a compact carry gun, also consider a pelican case for in the boat for water protection, with me 24 7 365 waytogo

Ryan Wilson

I don’t carry but the entire M&P line of pistols are great to hold and shoot. I have a fullsize M&P9 and use the medium backstrap. My buddy has an M&P9c that is also great. A nice compact version that can fit better in your pants and can also accept fullsize magazines for range fun. The shields make great concealed pistols. All the M&P goodness in a small tight package.

My fullsize 9 eats 147g hp Hornady’s really well too for defensive rounds. I like to use Winchester white box 115g for general use. Seller & Bellot are my second choice for all purpose. The only ammo it really didn’t like was the 124g NATO rounds you can get for cheap. If you ever use it be sure to check the bullet seating of EVERY round you load. I’ve had some set 1/8 inch too deep and the rest at random depths. Highly inconsistent quality and unreliable feeding.

M&P’s can handle a wide range of ammo quality, weights, case materials, and brands very well. They are easy to modify too. You can find them used at pretty affordable prices also. Mine was a police trade-in. Best $400 I ever spent )

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Depends on the event and the clothes I’m wearing. I don’t like hearing that gun don’t match your shoes or outfit. Funerals and such I wear the shield, weddings & such I go with the Sig C3 in satin, casual or around the yard a S&W 66 in nickel finish. S&W 629 during deer season. Doing construction, carry a Hi Point or Taurus just in case you drop your hammer and need a back up!

jwellsy

I really like Sneaky Pete holsters. The cordura models look like a square phone pouch and is easy to carry in plain sight without getting the feedback a pistol shaped holster or exposed pistol will get. IMHO the leather ones are too PD looking and more likely to attract attention.

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com

jarrod holbrook

I usually carry a smith snubby air weight. In the winter I carry a glock 36. I keep a ruger lcp around for summertime. There is no one and done in CCW

David Blais

I like my body guard. Easy to carry on the ankle, pocket or inside the pant. I own alot of pistols, and I prefer the small frame and light weight over anything else

Grawler

M&P .45 shield gen 2
    Alien Cloak 3.0 gear IWB

Trigger is great, conceals great, recoil is fine, and 7 rounds of .45 is some serious lead. All u have to do is hit them SOMEWHERE and they’ll know it.

rschmidty

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Hoping to make a decision on the next month. I’ll post back with what I got.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have an mp shield in 9mm love it.

Stanley

I carry a m&p shield 9mm in a fox IWB holster. You mentioned you were not sure how often you will carry but I think if you find a comfortable setup you may find yourself carrying more often than you think. When I first got my permit a few years ago my wife was like, why do you think you need to carry a gun. Now it’s your carrying right. Times have changed and it’s better to be prepared than be the victim. Good luck with your search.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.