Carry Class – Handgun choice help

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve finally decided to take a carry class ( Jan 11th ) I’ve kind of narrowed my choice of ( 1st ) Handgun to purchase down to the following: Sig Sauer P365, M & P Shield, or the Ruger LCP II. Does anyone currently have any of these? If so what are you thoughts on them. Interested in the good and the bad. I know all 3 of them are on the rather small side – But I have rather small hands and they don’t seem to be small when handling any of them. Its been a lot of years since I’ve done much research or looked at handguns. I was surprised to find how few handguns now have any type of external safety. That has me a bit concerned as I’d like for the wife to be comfortable handing and shooting it as well. Talking to several people at various gun shops I was surprised to find out how many people currently carry these basically no safety type of handguns with a live round in the chamber. I know the whole ” if its not loaded what’s the good of it ” thought process. I’m kind of on the fence if the time factor is worth the possible risk. I guess it will come down to how much training time I put in to determine my comfort level. If anyone has any other model choices feel free to throw them out there.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The gun I qualify with is not the gun I would typically carry. Bring what ever gun you can shoot the best with to pass the class.

Finding the right carry gun is like finding the right walleye boat. Guy needs about five of each to cover everything.

For your wife. Can’t go wrong with a revolver IMO. Pull trigger – go bang.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The gun I qualify with is not the gun I would typically carry. Bring what ever gun you can shoot the best with to pass the class.

x2. I shot one of my .22s, and I know at the place that I took my class, there were several people who either didn’t have their own gun or didn’t bring their own gun, and a .22 was provided for them to qualify with.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’m a fairly small guy (with small hands) and my current carry guns are a Ruger LC9s that I almost always carry, and then sometimes I’ll carry my SR40c. Of the guns you listed, two are 9mm and the LCPII is 380. My PERSONAL recommendation, is to go with the slightly larger (but still very concealable) frames like the P365, Shield, LC9s, etc. Those little 380s can be a bugger to shoot, let alone accurately, and many women have trouble handling the snappy 380 in a small frame. One of the best things you can do (especially if you want your wife to feel comfortable) is to go to a local indoor range, handle some of the candidates, and shoot them if possible. Find the one that feels the best. Guns that aren’t comfortable to shoot don’t get shot/carried often, and that is speaking from experience.

I would also do a little digging on the P365, there are lots of so-so reviews out there of folks having issues with broken strikers and magazine springs after surprisingly low round counts. Concept wise, its great! But SIG’s execution on that one could have been a little better.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I do not like the LCP II, I borrowed my dads.
    I wear XL or 2XL gloves and its small in my hand and feels too narrow for my liking but those are based on my hands. I had to have the clip extension / pinky lip on or the gun just felt like it was going to slip out of my hand.

There are quite a few sharp edges on the frame that chaff but those could be worked down. I personally would not buy it but would use if given… but to each is own. It is a nice slim gun that can be tucked away easily and not very heavy. Its relatively cheap but I think there are better out there, especially for me.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im a little on the smaller side as well. I am not a big fan of the little .380s as well they are not fun to shoot by any means. I personally went with the xds the 3.3 inch model in 9mm. it is super concealable and also helped me with my piece of mind of having one in the pipe in my pants with the safeties it has on it. but as the years went by I noticed if you have a good holster there is no reason to worry about it. Not too snappy but still a little more than a full sized 9mm would have. I also qualified with a .22.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I have a Sig Sauer P365 in 9MM Small easy to carry and can pack a punch. It fits in a pants pocket or jacket not heavy. I bought a velcro holster straps around my waist which I like.

380 round too small for me but a lady would like it better. But the 9mm in the micro size would work for a women.

Good Luck

Reef W

I would pick thinner over higher capacity, you’ll never “need” rounds 8-11 or whatever the difference is.

If you are concerned about the safety check out XD(s) 3.3″ maybe? Those have the plunger (i don’t know what you’d call it) safety on the backstrap that has to be depressed and the double trigger (again, don’t know what it’s actually called) safety.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Call me old fashion(and I am)…….3″ .38+P revolver…….
    Simple,basic,safe…….

Dan
    Southeast MN

I carry the M&P Shield that you referenced. With the right holster (I have a soft Tempest one) it shows little to no profile. I really like this for a carry gun and whether it’s summer or winter I don’t find it hard to keep it concealed.

r. I know the whole ” if its not loaded what’s the good of it ” thought process.

I would say “what’s the good of it” is having a firearm. I hear this all the time from people and I truly get the idea behind it, but many times the people saying this do so in an almost insulting manner, like you’re stupid if you carry without one in the chamber.

My 2 points regarding that:

1. If you’re in a movie theater/mall/event and someone comes in shooting, would you rather A) Have to draw and charge your weapon or B) not have a weapon and leave the rest of the situation to chance?

2. I really don’t like when the motives for people not chambering a round are safety and others belittle them for doing so. If someone wants to become a member of the carrying community for whatever reason, why not support that? I unfortunately see far, far too many examples of horrible gun safety; so why criticize someone who makes a decision in the name of gun safety?

Reef W

I would say “what’s the good of it” is having a firearm. I hear this all the time from people and I truly get the idea behind it, but many times the people saying this do so in an almost insulting manner, like you’re stupid if you carry without one in the chamber.

I 100% agree you shouldn’t be insulting about it or criticize. I think what it stems from though is some of the reasoning behind it. For example if the gun is legitimately unsafe then it shouldn’t be carried. Somebodies match gun with a custom hair-trigger is not an appropriate carry weapon. If the person is just uncomfortable with their gun then maybe they should focus on training more before they carry at all. You should know and have confidence that you can draw your loaded gun without shooting yourself in the leg. That idea is probably more controversial and hard to communicate without seeming condescending.

DTW

x3 on the Springfield XDS. Grip safety is piece of mine for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I carry a s&w mp 40. In midsized 9mm.
    It’s a great fit not to big not to small. And it’s cheap enough to use it as a everyday beater. So if it gets dirty or scratched I’m not pissed that it’s my kimber.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I carry the M&P Shield that you referenced. With the right holster (I have a soft Tempest one) it shows little to no profile. I really like this for a carry gun and whether it’s summer or winter I don’t find it hard to keep it concealed.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    r. I know the whole ” if its not loaded what’s the good of it ” thought process.

My 2 points regarding that:

1. If you’re in a movie theater/mall/event and someone comes in shooting, would you rather A) Have to draw and charge your weapon or B) not have a weapon and leave the rest of the situation to chance?

2. I really don’t like when the motives for people not chambering a round are safety and others belittle them for doing so. If someone wants to become a member of the carrying community for whatever reason, why not support that? I unfortunately see far, far too many examples of horrible gun safety; so why criticize someone who makes a decision in the name of gun safety?

Dan – Thanks for the Info. and your thoughts on the chambered Round. Like I said I’m sure my practice and comfort level will determine if I decide to or not.
    I’ve watched and plan to practice Drawing and Charging the weapon. In the video’s with highly trained people it seems like the delay is really small. Can that little bit make a difference in real life – Maybe. I’m just not sure how often that slight delay would change the overall outcome. I have owned and shot handguns in the past, but its been ALOT of years since I’ve last owned one. I’ve just decided I want to be able to protect myself, my family, and others around me if the situation calls for it. I believe that that responsibility requires that I become as proficient as possible and I have plans to do so.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve just decided I want to be able to protect myself, my family, and others around me if the situation calls for it. I believe that that responsibility requires that I become as proficient as possible and I have plans to do so.

That’s where I was at. I was in the army, then carried a gun for work in private security, and owned guns but took a few years to get my permit. And I basically did it for the same reasons: I’d see on the news that there was a shooting outside a sporting event, or a stabbing at a mall, etc. and I thought that with the experience and skills I had it’d be a shame if something horrible happened and I had the skills but no weapon. And like you, in the end I just want to be able to protect myself and others.

And I wholeheartedly agree that it probably adds a little time to draw and chamber a round. People need to do research, which it looks like you’re doing, and make their own informed decision on what’s best for them. I think it’s great that you’re researching and plan on training; those skills erode so damn fast that it’s tough to remain proficient.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions, there’s always gun talk going around this site and lots of people with lots of experiences that will help.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

x3 on the Springfield XDS. Grip safety is piece of mine for me.

The XDS is also on my list. Most of the guys at the gun shops I’ve talked with like it – They just don’t like it as well as some of the others.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One of the best things you can do (especially if you want your wife to feel comfortable) is to go to a local indoor range, handle some of the candidates, and shoot them if possible. Find the one that feels the best. Guns that aren’t comfortable to shoot don’t get shot/carried often, and that is speaking from experience.

I have plans to do just this. Not sure if I will do so prior to my class or after. The gun range near me said I could get a Hr. of range time – 3 guns to try – and the Ammo for about $75.00. I thought that was rather reasonable.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>
    One of the best things you can do (especially if you want your wife to feel comfortable) is to go to a local indoor range, handle some of the candidates, and shoot them if possible. Find the one that feels the best. Guns that aren’t comfortable to shoot don’t get shot/carried often, and that is speaking from experience.

I have plans to do just this. Not sure if I will do so prior to my class or after. The gun range near me said I could get a Hr. of range time – 3 guns to try – and the Ammo for about $75.00. I thought that was rather reasonable.

That sounds on par with the range near me as well.

Another quick point to bring up is holsters. You would be surprised how much difference having the right holster will make in terms of comfort. There are lots of well known, reputable holster companies out there, but don’t be afraid to try a couple right off the bat and see if there is one brand/style that you like more than the others.

rjohnson8404

I owned the LCP 2. I really shot it well and carried it in a pocket holster. But sold it because i never was comfortable with it being hot in my pocket like a wallet.
    The shield you can buy with a safety. Most handguns have a trigger safety. The shield has an external 1911 style thumb flip.
    The sigs are great guns but am only familiar with the p320.
    The new shields are nice the grip has improved and singles stacks carry so easy. I carried the 45 for awhile as well.
    Ultimately now I carry a glock 19 gen 5 all previous gens never fit my hand. But I love this as my carry weapon now.
    Its a tough decision but those M&p shields are great firearms.

David Blais

I really like the s&w body guard. Nice compact gun. I’d suggest getting use to shooting a full framed gun before trying a small compact. It also has a safety..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If your concerned with the one in the tube going off… Might I suggest to carry unloaded or with the chamber empty for two weeks. If the hammer drops…have the weapon fixed. (LOL)

If you need your weapon, more often than not you won’t know you need it until it’s coming out of your holster. That’s when that fraction of a second will count unless the other guys is a bad shot. But what works for me might not work for you.

Since your looking at mouse guns, make sure you have a holster if you carry in your pocket or at least it’s the only item in that pocket. Common sense says keys and mouse guns don’t mix.

Good luck on your choices.

PS Bill’s Gun Range rents handguns at their ranges. Although they are a little higher in cost, they do refund your rental fee if you buy a weapon from them.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I carry a m&p Shield in 9mm it is small enough to not notice but i can shoot it well and handles well. some of the small options are not fun to shoot for kicks the y are harder to control. if I was to ever need to use it a small gun would be fine as shots would be close but I didn’t want a gun that I can shoot.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Nice things about the 365 is excellent sights, night sights, 10 rounds with optional 12 rounds and Sig has two IWB holsters available made just for that gun.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Since your looking at mouse guns, make sure you have a holster if you carry in your pocket or at least it’s the only item in that pocket. Common sense says keys and mouse guns don’t mix.
    /quote]

I need some handgun language education – What is a Mouse gun ?????

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I know guys that have the Shield with a round chambered, holster the gun then move the safety to the off position. They put the safety back on before they remove it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I need some handgun language education – What is a Mouse gun ?????

“One type of gun that is often overlooked is the mouse gun. A mouse gun is a small caliber handgun, usually with less power than a 9mm Parabellum, but can also include 9mm pocket guns that have shorter barrels of about 3 inches.”

My definition of a mouse gun is a .380 or smaller caliber that will fit in your pocket. Something that can be carried in your shorts while mowing the lawn (in the summer). )

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I really like my LCR 38 special with Lazer sights, light compact and cannot get much safer carrying a loaded gun.
    With the lazer sight darn accurate too, not sure if it is a down side but limited on number of rounds at the ready.

tornadochaser

Finding good information on carry guns/holsters/techniques is getting hard lately due to all of the youtube/facebook/instagram operators pushing bad information & techniques. I’m not going to express my opinion on empty chamber carry; that’s beat to death daily across the web.

I wouldn’t recommend taking your carry class with a gun that you aren’t confident with, regardless of size. If you can’t shoot straight with it, i.e. always shooting left due to bad finger placement on the trigger, you’ll just get frustrated. use a gun that fits and punches holes where you aim. You can hit the jackpot and find that the first “carry” gun that you buy fits your hand perfect and fires tiny groups at 25 yards, and sticks to your hip perfectly in the first $20 nylon holster you slap on an Old navy Faux leather belt. Or, you might be like many of us and spend a few thousand dollars acquiring/trading to find the right pistols for your routines, and have a dresser draw or rubbermaid tote full of holsters & gun belts.

Thumb safeties really aren’t needed on striker fired pistols with modern trigger safeties. But, many compact/subcompact models do offer thumb safety options if you really want that “extra piece of mind.” My first carry gun, a ruger SR9c, had a thumb safety. Seemed like a waste of space after a while given the 8 pound gritty trigger pull. None of my current striker fired pistols have thumb safeties; just trigger safeties. I have 100% confidence in them.

I’ve come full circle after trying out some single stacks for my “every day carry”…my primary carry gun is again a double stack subcompact version of my full size gun I shoot most for range/occasional 3-gun. Familiarity of operation, magazine compatibility, and similar trigger feel all help me shoot the smaller gun better; and it’s only 1/4” thicker than the single stack offering. It keeps things simple. 10 round flush fit magazine, with a 17 round full size spare.

There’s definitely a time and place for the small single stacks though; I like my .380 for when I’m wearing workout clothing on the bike trail & for “pocket” carry for quick errands. My biggest hurdle with pocket carry was to stop placing items other than the gun & holster in that pocket. I don’t know how many times I initially would clip my knife or light into my right pocket which would severely limit my ability to draw, and induce possible ND on the draw/reholster. Pocket carry will definitely change your habits. Coins, chapstick, keys, knife, flashlight, wallet; you have to rethink placement of all of this stuff.

Oh, and avoid those stupid gun magnets for vehicles, avoid wedging your holstered gun between the seats, avoid the center console stash. Buy an extra pistol safe and cable lock it to an anchor point in your vehicle if you’re going to leave the gun in your car (which you will have to at some point if you choose to follow signs posted at various facilities). Thieves are having a field day here in my town getting access to unsecured firearms left in vehicles. A locked car is not a gun safe.

Lastly, NOTHING beats proper dry fire holstering/unholstering practice to build good muscle memory keeping your booger hook away from the trigger.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.