Carp (or Sucker) Sausage

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

A few years ago, I saw a segment on the 10 PM news concerning a butcher (Alexandria Area, I think) that made & sold Carp sausage. It appeared to look like deer sausage, except it was whiter. Same casings, same texture. just carp sausage. I was always planning on trying it, but have since lost the address. Anyone know what I am talking about?

And then, this question follows: Has anyone tried making their own? It seems like somebody would have. I am willing to try if I can find a recipe. Some years, finding carp seems easier than finding deer.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

dont remember any years that finding deer was easier than carp. those must have been some good years. id try carp sausage but it doesnt sound very good

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t see it available on their website, but Schafer’s Fish Market in IL http://schaferfish.com/theSite/ makes a Asian Carp sausage that was fed to prison inmates a few years back. They might still be doing it.

I haven’t tried the sausage, but the smoked silver carp that they make the sausage out of was awesome.

deertracker

I did not see it on the news but here a few area shops.

County Line Meats- Forada
    Minnewaska Meats- Glenwood
    Miltona Meats- Miltona

I could see County Line doing something like that.
    DT

deertracker

Osakis meats closed at least a few years ago. Maybe it was them?
    DT

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

We have been doing this with Salmon and goose for years.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I will check those out, thanks!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We have been doing this with Salmon and goose for years.

man that sounds delicious! would love a recipe if you have one to offer!

A few years ago, I saw a segment on the 10 PM news concerning a butcher (Alexandria Area, I think) that made & sold Carp sausage. It appeared to look like deer sausage, except it was whiter. Same casings, same texture. just carp sausage. I was always planning on trying it, but have since lost the address. Anyone know what I am talking about?

And then, this question follows: Has anyone tried making their own? It seems like somebody would have. I am willing to try if I can find a recipe. Some years, finding carp seems easier than finding deer.

I believe you are talking about my dad, he made sucker sausage and sold it/ took donations plus was on tv talking about it.
    He has his own recipe that he made and he has the only recipe for for it and I will ask about it.
    Have a blessed day.

Joshf

Any chance he would share recipe?

chris
    northern Illinois

I would also like a recipe for this or at least a description, is it like a brat or a summer or smoked sausage?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Osakis meats closed at least a few years ago. Maybe it was them?
    DT

I think carp sausage could put you out of business. whistling

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.