Carp Eradication

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Sounds like a horrible idea!

Indroduce something to kill something indroduced what is next?

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Asian beetels? Darn they’re already here. Boy that didn’t work so well niether. doah

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yeah, nothing could go wrong with this plan.

Grouse

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Trophy trout lake in my area had to be poisoned twice because of illegally introduced invasive fish that took over the lake. The last poisoning was the equivalent of a nuclear holocaust. The entire eco system got destroyed. They thought that simply dumping truck loads of fish back into the lake would solve the problem but the natural food sources were there anymore. It has been several years now and it has never returned to anything like it was.

walleye216

This is exactly what was done with salmon in the Great Lakes to try to control the alewife population, and it is still being done today. There are probably other examples as well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Humans are not as smart as they like to think they are. They are the only species (supposedly) that can reason. We are good at solving things with problems. I am not sure the reason.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Asian Beetles were introduced into the US to control Aphids. How’d that work out? Good on the Aphids control but no so good all over my house in the fall…RR

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

This is exactly what was done with salmon in the Great Lakes to try to control the alewife population, and it is still being done today. There are probably other examples as well.

See Yellowstone 2015/2016: Fisheries biologists dumped Rotenone into Soda Butte creek to attempt to kill of non-native Brook trout. It will basically kill all fish and invertebrates in the poisoned area and will definitely have some long-term effects. I really do hope it works out, because Soda Butte is one of my favorite trout streams out west. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to rebound from the poisoning, and if it really does kill off all of the brookies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.