Canadian lake portaging

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Imagine you are at a remote drive in lake in Canada. You bring your beautiful new boat. The lodge also offers trails to portage lakes at various places from the rocky shoreline of the main lake. Aside from talons, does anyone have any creative ideas to stow the boat without it bashing up against the rocks while you are away at the portage lake?

Thought about spot lock… but not sure I trust it unmonitored for hours.
    Thought about bringing a lilypad (giant piece of dense foam) and pulling the boat tight up against it.

I just can’t come up with an elegant solution that wouldn’t give me b**thole pucker the whole time I’m away.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you don’t mind getting a little wet. I’d drop a boat anchor off the back of the boat a short way from shore. Tie a longer rope to the front of the boat. and wade or swim to shore with the longer rope and tie it off on shore. When ready to retrieve it, you should be able to pull the boat to shore unless your anchor gets lodged somehow. If its gets lodged you may have to wade or swim back out to the boat. Not ideal but if you are worried about the boat getting beat up by the rocks on shore this may be your only option.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

It’s Canada,can’t you catch enough fish from your beautiful new boat?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Borrow your buddies boat. If it an aluminum boat most portage’s are in protected bays. I like to keep my stuff nice but if your that worried about it don’t go on portage’s

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Rent/take a camp boat for the day.
    Talk to the lodge, you’re not the first in this situation.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

If you don’t mind getting a little wet. I’d drop a boat anchor off the back of the boat a short way from shore. Tie a longer rope to the front of the boat. and wade or swim to shore with the longer rope and tie it off on shore. When ready to retrieve it, you should be able to pull the boat to shore unless your anchor gets lodged somehow. If its gets lodged you may have to wade or swim back out to the boat. Not ideal but if you are worried about the boat getting beat up by the rocks on shore this may be your only option.

If it’s warm enough this may not be so bad.

It’s Canada,can’t you catch enough fish from your beautiful new boat?

Variety/adventure is the spice of life! toast

Rent/take a camp boat for the day.
    Talk to the lodge, you’re not the first in this situation.

I think this is my top option… albeit probably a paid option. I guess $50 or whatever versus bashing the boat against the rocks is worth it to me. Good call. waytogo

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Your boat will thank you for it grin
    Really, split between a couple guys it’s cheap insurance and you’ll enjoy the day much more not having to think about it.
    Enjoy, those portage-in lakes can be a blast.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.