buying new portable just what brand

• Spencer Haugen

Hi everyone i am in the process of deciding what brand of flip over fish house i want to buy im thinking going with otter but want to hear everyone else’s opinion on brands.
    Thank You

tucrs
    NW Metro

Otter!

Best Canvas
    Best poles
    Best sled

The only drawback I see is they are more money then the other brands.
    But like anything ice after the 4th is when rumors hum about new products.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Amen, what he said

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’ve had Frabill,clam and now I got an Otter and it’s way better than the other 2!!

Spencer Haugen

thanks guys defintly hard choice between otter and eskimo but pretty sure going with otter

steuben1
    Indiana

Otter!

Best Canvas
    Best poles
    Best sled

The only drawback I see is they are more money then the other brands.
    But like anything ice after the 4th is when rumors hum about new products.

I’ve been waiting since last ice season for the new TUCR for Lake Erie! I was going to swipe it out of Holst’s hands, but he is bigger in person than I thought! : )

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

2 words OTTER!!!! the best in the world. only downfall is the heavy weight (i dont consider the high cost a downfall cause you get what you pay for).

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

2 words OTTER!!!! the best in the world. only downfall is the heavy weight (i dont consider the high cost a downfall cause you get what you pay for).

I think if you take the time to compare models of a similar size you’ll find the Otters to weigh about the same or LESS than comparable models from the other companies.

For example… Frabill Predator 160lbs, Clam X2 140lbs, Otter XT1200 Lodge 124lbs.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

I think if you take the time to compare models of a similar size you’ll find the Otters to weigh about the same or LESS than comparable models from the other companies.

For example… Frabill Predator 160lbs, Clam X2 140lbs, Otter XT1200 Lodge 124lbs.

True! compared to models of a similar nature the otter is certainly in the same ballpark. i guess i was more thinking of compared to say my older two man clam which is around 60 lbs, but all newer fish houses with the nice canvases and tubs are heavier than they used to be made years ago

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

but all newer fish houses with the nice canvases and tubs are heavier than they used to be made years ago

Very true. Not everything was made better back in the old days. grin

Timmy

I have been on dozens upon dozens of back country lake trout trips north of the border pulling portables behind the sleds. This adds up to THOUSANDS of brutal miles on the shelters getting drug and bounced over horrid terrain. After over 25 yrs of doing this, the dozen or so guys in the group we run with all have an otter in tow behind their sleds. I believe that says something as far as the quality and durability of their shelters. Personally, I would buy an otter before I took a free competitor because I need a shelter that I know will hold up to the punishment. I had an old Otter cabin that I sold that had over 4000 miles on it – and it was still a functional shack.

gonehunting

All of our guys that travel to Lake Winnipeg each year have all switched to Otter houses. They may be a bit more money but will last you many years to come. As someone said best poles, best sled, best canvas. Buy the otter.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

My Otter flip-overs have served me very well. In fact, I have heard of very few complaints in general from Otter owners.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.