Buying ammo online – first timer.

• ThunderLund78

I’ve never bought ammo online before. I assume it’s an in-depth process?? From what I can tell, it’s completely legal in MN as long as proof of age is given.

Secondary question:
    Have any of you purchased ammo online from Raniersec.com? They seem to have good prices but have a $100 minimum (which I’m ok with). They’re out of Alaska so shipping may be expensive but I’m also in no hurry (it’s for fall hunting). They’re the only place I can find that has online inventory for what I’m looking for.

Coletrain27

It’s easy, they just need a copy of your license

jake47
    WI

I bought like $600-700 worth of ammo online after the Packer playoff win this year while hammered off my a$$. No issues other than a less than impressed spouse…

John Christesnen

Did a quick google search and this seems to be a scam website. Always double check when ordering ammo online.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

99 percent of my ammo comes delived from online. No issues.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Have any of you purchased ammo online from Raniersec.com?

Rainiersec only accepts certain forms of payment. I don’t remember exactly what it is but it was not a common credit card.

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>
    Have any of you purchased ammo online from Raniersec.com?

Rainiersec only accepts certain forms of payment. I don’t remember exactly what it is but it was not a common credit card.

bitcoin or gift cards, it’s 100% a scam like @duckyshot12 said

Musky Ed

Just came home from fleet farm and they had a huge bin full of Norma 9mm for 19 something a box. More than pre panic, but better than I’ve seen lately. Also gun case was full up with pistols. Maybe it’s starting to turn around.

Attachments:
    1. 20210708_120123-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

bitcoin or gift cards, it’s 100% a scam like @duckyshot12 said

Thanks Reef. I’ve never bought anything there I’ve only looked around a few times. Good to know.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes I believe it is turning around. Musky.
    I went a few days ago they had both the .40 and.45 I wanted in stock and I was able to purchase them both, also got a free box of rounds with each.
    Was kind of refreshing

Rich Stuhr
    South Dakota

Buying online (even with shipping costs) is usually the cheapest route. I use Ammoseek.com for the hard to find stuff but generally go through my area stores to support local business. Ammoseek isn’t an actual outlet, just a search engine for ammo suppliers.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Buying online (even with shipping costs) is usually the cheapest route. I use Ammoseek.com for the hard to find stuff but generally go through my area stores to support local business. Ammoseek isn’t an actual outlet, just a search engine for ammo suppliers.

THunderlund, check out ammoseek for your specific needs.
    Beware of scam websites.
    I order most my ammo online and have made only one $700 mistake on a scam site.
    Create an alert on ammoseek and you’ll get a notice as soon as it is available. Some good things go fast and you cannot compete against those who do use ammoseek to find hard to find items online.

ThunderLund78

THANK YOU ALL! I will definitely be avoiding Raniersec.com. I knew it was too good to be true. I tried Ammoseek before my original post and came up with nothing. Was hoping for a Hail Mary )

Here’s my predicament for anyone who’s interested. A few years ago I bought a Savage 220 20Ga shotgun. I hunt in Southern MN, so it’s all shotgun for me. After hearing many great things and handling my brother-in-law’s 220, I decided to get one for myself. I love it, feels and shoots like a rifle and it practically is when shooting 3″ Remington Accutips. And this is what I’m searching for.

They were a little more common a few years ago, even before the pandemic shortages, but the 220 became immensely popular and this was the preferred ammo. This coupled with niche market for slug ammo in general, Remington’s bankruptcy and all the other world’s problems have made the Accutips almost non-existent. I can usually get a box or two if I put my name on a list at a small but reputable sporting goods store in my area. But it’s usually right before the season. I’m pretty sure they don’t even start to manufacture it until late summer but now that Remington’s ammo sector is being manufactured by someone else, I’m not sure what to expect. All online places I’ve checked are out-of-stock (except Raniersec.com which is why I asked).

Anyway, I’d like to get a few extra boxes because I needed to adjust my scope position and I was never comfortable with my original sight-in process because I had to improvise a range and only had a couple boxes of ammo at the time. While expensive, I’d prefer to sight-in with the same ammo I hunt with. So here I am.

I may switch to Hornady, they also make a 3″ sabot 20Ga shell and I think they’re a little easier to locate. But I’ve heard mixed reviews on them.

Open to suggestions from more seasoned ammo folks.

pass0047
    Pool4

I have 2 of the savage 220s. when I bought my fist I shot remington, Hornady and federal shells. All 3 shot well but the federal 3 inch shot the best. so if you are able to find them they maybe a good option for you. Good luck.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I tried Ammoseek before my original post and came up with nothing. Was hoping for a Hail Mary

Just set an alert. You might be surprised that when they become available they are sold out within seconds or minutes.
    I’ve been playing the “Fastest Check Out” game for several months on several items. If you want some things right now you gotta simply be the quickest.

I wanted shotshells for 9mm. Ammoseek had them out everywhere. I created an alert. Within a week they were available, but not at a price i wanted to pay, so i’ll just wait for the right price.

I have not seen H322 for several months. Just this week it became available and i could buy up to 10 lbs…But at $36 i said “Heck NO!”. HOwever, someone bought them out very quickly. I’ll bet i start seeing that powder available more frequently for a short period of time before supply once again runs out.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

But I’ve heard mixed reviews on them.

You get that with hunting. Some people cannot hit the broad side of a barn and look for many excuses. Some shoot at running deer and have no business doing so. I have a buddy who NEEDS to stop shooting at running deer, but he won’t.

You don’t need much gun accuracy for a deer but you do need to be accurate yourself.

Stanley

I just bought my wife a savage 220 for this season and am going to use the hornady sst slugs since I have those. I have been buying a couple boxes when I find any ammo for hunting guns I have just so I have it when I need it regardless of the brand because now if you wait for your specific brand and load you may never find it. I saw a box of the hornady superformance slugs last weekend for $24. That was a hard pass for me.

Reef W

I bought a 6.5 creedmoor this spring and every once in awhile look what’s available for ammo. I don’t know what I want so I’ve just been waiting for any federal premium with a deer on the box ( jester ) to pop up. This thread made me check again and I learned that you get a birthday discount, never knew that! They had Sako Super Hammerhead and the bday discount took $15/box off so they were $32. Seems like a decent deal in this market and, even though there is no deer on the box, Super Hammerhead sounds pretty cool so good enough lol

Anyways, if it’s near you birthday check Midway, I never knew they had that discount before.

Coletrain27

I shoot accu tips in my 12 gauge 11-87 and they work excellent for me. I found that the hornady SST slugs shoot very comparable for me also. Maybe give them a try if there easier to find

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.