Bull Redfish

• c_w
    central MN

Got a couple of good days in down in Venice fishing the delta. My son and I had never been there but after the wife was down last year we knew it was something we had to do. Nobody would have guessed the first day would be so great. After a 40 minute boat ride through the bayou we settled in on a point fishing the surf in 2.5′ rollers. The boy started it off with a good 34″ fish then it was game on, each fish just kept getting a little better. The wife topped off the morning with a 42″. After that we went into the bayou to catch a few slot fish for the freezer.

After getting a few eaters with the occasional bull we moved back out to the coast and hit the surf again. Within minutes the boy was fighting a big one, run after run he stuck with it and finally 15 minutes later had a 43.5″ giant in the boat.

A few cast later the wife and I both hooked up and a we had a double! Pretty short fights for 38″ fish on light tackle but it was really cool to see the color differances in fish caught 25′ apart feeding on the same break.

We ended up fishing through rain and high winds but had boated 15 bulls and ended up with a bunch of slot fish for the freezer. Not a bad first day.

Our second day after the rain came through was a windy one. We weren’t able to make it back out to the same spot as the first day but managed a few good fish. It wasn’t lights out but we did grind it out in 35 mph gust for another pile of slot fish for the freezer. Third day was more wind and a short day due to our flight times. Overall we had a great time and can’t wait to do it again.

Attachments:
    1. image-66.jpeg

2. image-65.jpeg

3. image-64.jpeg

4. image-63.jpeg

5. image-62.jpeg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice. Was going to try to get down there this winter but never got the trip put together. Next year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice, that looks like an awesome trip! I think reds are the #2 prettiest BIG game fish, fresh or salt.

CBMN
    North Metro

That looks like a great time.

Looks like a trip I will have to make next year.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Those are sweet. waytogo waytogo It is something I have on my bucket list.

zooks

Those are sweet. waytogo waytogo It is something I have on my bucket list.

X2, great looking fish. Thanks for the report.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Very nice CW!

I’m sitting here anxiously counting the days for our trip. This is just what I needed to get the blood really pumping!

I agree with Pug, they are a beautiful fish. The one your wife is holding with the pink jacket on has amazing color.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Several years ago my Grandpa took all of his grandsons (4 of them, including me) to New Orleans for a weekend and we spent some time fishing for Redfish. It was a blast! I don’t recall getting any that big, but I want to say we got plenty of them that were in the 30s” and ended up with a limit for us 5. Very fun day in the water with things I was not accustomed too. Using shrimp as our bait, catching an occasional sting-ray, and both freshwater and saltwater catfish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.