Buddy Heater Enough???

• benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I recently purchased a new Otter Pro Lodge. In the past I was using a Clam Yukon. With the Yukon I used a standard buddy heater and a night I added a propane 2 mantle lantern for light (it also added enough heat to burn of any condensation.) With my new otter I added LED lighting

While the Otter Lodge is larger and insulated I am wondering if it will be enough heat? Do any of you guys used a standard buddy heater in your lodges if so how has it worked? Or should I step up to the Big Buddy and and external tank.

Thanks for your input!
    Bob

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have the lodge with just the insulated top and a regular buddy heater. Keeps two of us plenty warm unless it’s really cold.

I got the fully insulated canvas for it this year, I’m sure I will be toasty even in the coldest weather.

Since you already have the buddy heater I would try it first and see how well it heats.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Bob,

Check out this conversation that was started this morning.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/heater-for-new-otter-hubs/

I’ve been running the Mr Heater Heater/Cooker (8,000-15,000 BTU) for many years in the PRO Cabin, but at it’s lowest setting it can get way to warm. This year I’m going to switch to the Hunting Buddy (6,000-12,000 BTU) for the PRO Cabin and pick up a second one for use in the Hub Resort.

I have a friend who will be running the Pro Lodge this winter and he’s decided on the Hunting Buddy versus the Buddy. The Big Buddy would work, but it might be overkill.

Keep in mind, the new Thermal-Tec shell have eliminated a majority of the through fabric stitching which will greatly reduce any chance of frost build-up and will be warmer that past shells.

UPOW

Icenutz, were you able just to buy the thermal shell from otter?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I got it on a trade for a solo auger on here. I know they are hard to find.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I have a pro 1200 cabin new last year and use a portable buddy which is 5k BTU or 9k BTU. Most days I’m running it on low and plenty warm, if I’m really hunkering down to get comfy and taking jacket off and spreading out a little I’ll turn up to high. Also, when wife comes along, definitely on high, but she is comfortable.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Bob – I had the XT1200 Cabin, and though smaller we had it on low or medium and it was so warm we could be in our shorts. It was insane, and that was literally during -20 wind chills.

The buddy line goes 5/10/15lbs. I would think the regular buddy would be plenty. They hold heat really well as expected. Its nice to not worry about warmth.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Another option for you guys looking for a canvas shell other than trying to hunt down an otter one, would be to call canvas craft because they sell the material by the square foot I believe. Anyways if you are interested it’s worth giving them a call. Bummer it’s not the thermal tec material, but as far as quality I’ve heard really good things about canvas craft.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I have a Pro Cabin 900 and when it’s above 10 degrees I use the little buddy. Anything colder than that or when it’s crazy windy I have the regular Buddy and it’s plenty warm enough on Low.

hamms
    Mn

I got my xt1200 pro cabin in the middle if the season last year and I was using my big buddy with 20# tank and on low at 15 below out the wife said to shut it off. It was warm so I would just turn it down to pilot and turn it up when needed. I have a regular buddy as well and will probably try that also. I hate using/disposing of the 1 lbs cyl so I try to avoid using them. The 1200 denier is great and I don’t care if it’s last years model with the through stitching it’s the cats meow!

gonehunting

Buy the big buddy heater and don’t look back. I have the Otter Lodge XT1200 and is overkill on most days but when you want instant heat on those -20degree days you have it. Buy the quick connect hose and put the tank outside. Use the big buddy in the enclosed deer stand also.

ElFuegoOnIce

I think if you hung a fan it’d be plenty.

Tonka
    Minnesota

hamms

I just got the xt pro cabin this year, and have never fished in a thermal, do they honestly get that warm?

dbright
    Cambridge

hamms

I just got the xt pro cabin this year, and have never fished in a thermal, do they honestly get that warm?

I have a frabil insulated and yes they do make a huge difference. I went from a nanook uninsulated running on high with my Mr cooker and being cold when it was below zero and thwind was blowing to never running above low and typically opening a window on my frabil.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.