Broadheads

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

What do you guys use for broadheads with your bow setup? Right now I am running rage hypodermics with 55lb draw and 27.5inch draw length. Which is not a super fast setup. Been trying to decide if I switch over to a fixed blade like a slick trick or something similar. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin riegel

In my opinion your set up is a little slow for an expandable. I would recommend to go with a Magnus buzzcut 4 blade.

I am running 150 grain Day Six this year. I have run Thunderheads, G5 Montecs, and Annihilator in the past. Day six is by far the sharpest out of the package, but most expensive. Magnus was the next sharpest, then Thunderheads. Both the G5 and the Annihilator were very dull.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Muzzy 3 blades. Nothing fancy but proven.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

In my opinion your set up is a little slow for an expandable. I would recommend to go with a Magnus buzzcut 4 blade.

Were you still getting pretty good blood trails with these? They seem to have great reviews.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I used Bear Razorhead broadheads for many years. 50-55 lb draw weight, shooting clean thru deer on multiple occasions.
    The Magnus Busscut recommended above would be a fine choice.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1016718530?pid=412201&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Archery+-+Broadheads+and+Points&utm_content=412201&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Archery+-+Broadheads+and+Points-_-Magnus-_-412201&msclkid=bd602b5d872b171e0c894a4ffb5ce39e&utm_term=4584688612696543

BigWerm
    SW Metro

x2 they’ve always killed every deer I’ve shot at with them.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Best flying fixed blade I’ve shot has been the Wac’Em 4-blade.

catmando
    wis

Wasp Hammer SST, Used them for years. 100gr for deer, 125 gr for elk.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

I’ve been using the 100 grain slick tricks for years. They fly straight, are tough, and leave good blood trails. The razor trick would be even better for penetration and I would probably switch to them for elk and have had my kids use them.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>

Were you still getting pretty good blood trails with these? They seem to have great reviews.

I did but I always think blood trails depend on where you hit them and then angle of the shot.

Slabtown
    Western Wisconsin

I actually meant the vipertrick, not the razortrick.

I think the magnus stinger is a good head, but I don’t understand how the serrated buzzcut could be better than the standard edge.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I did but I always think blood trails depend on where you hit them and then angle of the shot.

Makes sense to me. They seem to fly pretty close to field points which is great.

I actually meant the vipertrick, not the razortrick.

I think the magnus stinger is a good head, but I don’t understand how the serrated buzzcut could be better than the standard edge.

I was actually looking at these ones and they seem great as well.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I switched over to DRT fixed blades. Flight matches target tips perfect. Punch though bones with no problem.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been using Rage 2 blade chisel tips for the last 6 or so years and they work great. 60lb, 27.5″ draw Creed. Broadheads are probably more highly debated than rifle ammo…everyone has their own they swear by but they all harvest animals.

picklerick
    Central WI

I am a 100gr 3 blade Muzzy guy since my 2nd bow season in 1997.

Attachments:
    1. Resized952016100495120032.jpg

David Blais

I would go with the sevr broad head. They are a remake of the ulmer edge. You can only buy them online

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well I have a bunch to look up on some fixed blades thanks for the recommendations!

That thing is a stud!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

That’s a great deer pr. Congrats!! waytogo waytogo

Besox

I have a similar set up, same Hyperdermics with no issue at all. Big fan of the Rage.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I would use a durable, sharp, made in USA broadhead. QAD Exodus on my arrows. No china made expandable for me.

picklerick
    Central WI

I don’t trust expandables because Murphy’s Law would have been named after me if I were around then. But a well placed broadside shot is going to kill a deer with a sharpened stick, so it’s mostly about hitting your target. Double lung and hopefully nick the heart and it’s down very soon. The heart’s always the first part I eat so I’d rather not center punch it.

Alex Fox

At the weight you’re pulling, the book says it’s a little light for an expandable. Having said that, you could always go to a smaller cutting diameter expandable. My draw weight is 60 lbs, at the very low end for an expandable, but I use the G5 Deadmeat. It only expands to 1.5 inches, perfect for the lighter draw weights IMO. They also make practice tips for these that are “the exact ballistic match” according to their site. It’s nice not having to move sights around for practice vs. actually in the stand. I haven’t shot many deer with a bow, but I’ve had clean pass throughs with these.

Not that it’s cheap, but you can always experiment with various brands. I went through 10+ different factory ammos until I found one that just naturally grouped better for my deer rifle. Amazing the different groupings you get when the only thing different is the name on the box.

Nice Fella

FWIW, this was just released yesterday:

The Best Broadheads of 2021 for Compound Bow Hunters

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well I bet you all are holding your breath to know but I ended up picking up a pack of those magnus stinger buzzcuts. As long as i can get them to fly straight and group well they will be in the tree with me. Thanks for the recommendations! Hopefully I can have a sweet report in a month or two on how a monster buck didnt go 20.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well shot those magnus stingers and they fly just like field tips. Even sliced off a couple fletchings off some field tip ones in the testing. All in all feeling confident in them hitting the spot if i do my part.

mark thiel

I use the Sevr heads and they are just ok. They differ from Rage because they not only lock open but the blades can pivot if one blade hits a bone. I have not had great blood trails. The entry and exit hole are not as big as the rage, probably because they may be pivoted at that time and present a smaller cut. Shot and recovered two deer with them this year. Not very good blood on either. I know they mess up the critter plenty bad inside but a dead deer that you can’t track is not why I am using a 2 inch expandable. My Nitro X sends a very heavy arrow out there at over 400 Fps. I cant even find the arrow after they pass through in soft ground. I am thinking of going with a 3 blade expandable like the NAP.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Just a quick update. Did get to send one through a buck. Got a full pass through and was a solid 12-16 inches buried in the dirt passed it. The main blade had a decent ding in it and one of the bleeders was pretty dinged up. Emailed magnus about it and they are sending a new one to me no questions asked. Pretty sweet!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ClownColor wrote:</div>

x2 they’ve always killed every deer I’ve shot at with them.

x3

Dabba
    Lakeville, MN

Ive used Magnus 2 blade stingers the past couple seasons. Great Broadhead

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.