Bringing your wheel house to Mille Lacs – What reorts do you like best and why?

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello –

I am a relatively new owner of an ice castle fish house and have been to Mille Lacs a couple of times. When looking for a road/resort to go through there seems to be a lot of options. It seems like some resorts could care less if you paid the weekend fee and brought your wheelhouse out – almost like it’s a pain for them. Others seem like yeah come on up and we will plow you a spot for $20 no problem! Sometimes I have my daughter with and always wonder if I ran into a problem what resort would be the most help? Which resorts do you like best and why? Thanks – Chad

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

More than just the fee I’d worry about. I’d be looking at the resorts with the equipment to get you off the lake if a storm whipped up or a major crack or heave happened. A lot of people got stuck/stranded out on the lake in last years end of the year storm because the resort(s) they went out of didn’t have the equipment to deal with big drifts and slush.

With all that said, I’d go out of Macs Twin Bay, Appeldoorn’s, or Hunters Point. Those are the bigger resorts on the east side with equipment capable of getting you & your house off the lake. None of them would bat an eye to plow you a spot as long as it is within their road system.

I’m biased to Appeldoorn’s as that’s where my skid house is AND they don’t get near the traffic the other big name resorts get. As long as you stop and pay whichever resort you choose & listen where to go & NOT where to go, you shouldn’t have any issues getting off in an emergency should one arise.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I vouch for Rocky Reef, Randy’s, Terry’s and Garrison Sports. I’m sure there are a dozen more that are fine, but these are the ones I have the most experience with.

Rocky Reef has the best roads on the lake, sometimes as wide as six lanes. The have access to some really good spots, including Rocky Reef, Indian Point, and a few gravel humps.

Randy’s is the most aggressive plower on the lake, for better or worse, and he’ll get to some good spots faster than any other resort. They go to Indian Point and past to some nice flats. The spot right in front of the resort, Blue City, can hold some nice fish as well.

Terry’s also has good roads and access to some excellent flats. His roads are always clean and bridges secure. He is a little more cautious about letting people out, but your safety is his priority.

Garrison Sports has access to the huge Garrison Reef and some great flats past it. The roads are in always in top shape. Annual pass is only $60, compared to $200-300 everywhere else.

All of these places will help you if you get in a jam. Terry’s and Garrison Sport sell bait.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.