Bringing a boat to canada-

• Go Spuds

Hey quick question–son and I are headed north for a week soon. I know about the passports-fishing license etc–but is there anything i need to know or be aware of taking a boat across the border? Never done it before–Thanks

Gordio

We’ve never had any issues with boats or kayaks crossing the border. Nothing specific about them either at the crossing.

Remember to make sure your insurance covers Canada, and good luck up there.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nothing special about boats going into Canada that I’m aware of. Just got back from a week trip there. Both trucks and boats crossed without issue. I will say don’t get overly talkative with the agents. Just answer their ?’s with simple answers.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Heck, I don’t think you even need your boat licensed/registered do you?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I saw something on tv over the winter about your safety chains needing to be a closed type by rule in Canada, no open hooks, easy fix before your go. But I have no first hand experience on that or anything else in regards to crossing.

bigpike

Ontario has a fresh chicken, fresh fruit, live bait ban. Like the o.p. said. No small talk, sun glasses, hat off, no smokes burning, straight yes no answers, no extra info offered, answer specific question with assurance and eye contact. Know exactly what you have for tobacco and alcohol if you have. Be prepared to step inside and pay duty if your over there quota. Btw your boat is your best friend. It tells you and your sons story! Were coming here to fish and have fun

blank

Ontario has a fresh chicken, fresh fruit, live bait ban.

They do? I’ve been across the border 3 times since April and haven’t been asked at all about any food, and can’t remember ever being asked in the previous years about food. They’ve asked if I’ve had bait, but I never do so I haven’t heard any additional questions about that.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No homemade cement coffee can anchors.

DTW

You need two paddles in your boat in Canada to be compliant. Only need one here in the states. Have fun eh!

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>
    Ontario has a fresh chicken, fresh fruit, live bait ban.

They do? I’ve been across the border 3 times since April and haven’t been asked at all about any food, and can’t remember ever being asked in the previous years about food. They’ve asked if I’ve had bait, but I never do so I haven’t heard any additional questions about that.

That info is from there do not bring across web sight. The questions asked at the border I cant know. Remember the big potato ban from a few years back?

blank

Interesting. I remember hearing about the potato ban, but have never been asked at the border any food related questions.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I thought eggs were another one they don’t like you bringing across.

We’ve been asked about bait a few times – never really been questioned on other food.

I agree on the other comments – we write up a list and give it to them of everything we’re bringing across, especially beer and tobacco. They appreciate the preparation and politeness.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Boat specific – the only issue we’ve had was coming back in. Border agent saw the truck and boat were registered in different states so he asked why. Truck was my fishing partner but the boat is in his dad’s name.

We got a little talking to on how we weren’t supposed to do that without proper documentation. we’ve crossed another 10 or so times without incident. The one time we used a borrowed truck we had him hand write a permission slip and we also did a video of giving us permission. Nobody cared that time

Food – I can’t keep track on what is banned by either side each year. Chicken and eggs were a big thing a couple years back both directions. U.S. stopped us for fruit, we had to wait for the agricultural officer to dispose of our apples. (had a great fishing conversation with the ag guy though)

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

50′ of floating rope, whistle, flashlight and flares. The other comments are good also. Several years ago Ontario passed laws requiring the items I listed.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

50′ of floating rope, whistle, flashlight and flares. The other comments are good also. Several years ago Ontario passed laws requiring the items I listed.

Never heard of this…can you report the source?

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

Never heard of this…can you report the source?

This is the info I use and have not had a problem. Average about 4 trips a year in Canadian waters. These are the rules for a boat 19’8″ or less. My boat is an 18 footer. Not sure what the rules are for a larger boat.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp14659-safetyequipment-3018.htm

For the heaving line I tie 50 ft of rope to a boat cushion.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

Those are all good things to have, but not required (only required for Canadian residents). In Ontario, if you have what you need in your boat to be legal in your home state, you will be fine there.

Dean

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.