Box Blinds?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like I’m in the market for a few box blinds for the farm up north. Figured I would start on IDO first. So what do you guys like and don’t like? Any good deals on them out there? Think I’m looking to put them up on a wood platform. The metal stands just don’t look like they would last.

Thanks for any advice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Coletrain recently started a thread on advice for Stump blinds.

My Father has the original version, its a 1 man Stump made of molded plastic. He put it on a 5 foot wood platform and he’s had it for 7 years now. He also has carpet, a 360 degree swivel chair, and a portable heater in it.

It’s obviously nice to sit out of the elements in the stump, but I have found that it greatly reduces ability to hear and see compared to an open air stand. And your range to shoot is also limited based on where the windows are.

I think I saw one in the fleet farm Black Friday ad tomorrow. It’s not a stump. I think it’s a square one that’s meant to be on the ground.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I saw that one in the fleetfarm ad. Reviews didn’t look al that great. Issues of windows falling out.

I’ll look up the post on stump blinds.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Open stands are nicer for the view but when it is 0 degrees or raining put everyone is in a box blind at our camp. We modified all of ours for bigger windows for crossbow. We also normally have all the windows open when hunting to hear better unless there is a big wind coming from 1 direction then close one. We have stump and condo brand, they are ok, stump a bit harder to shoot crossbow out of.

blackbay
    mn

My dad and uncle each have a Shadow Hunter blind. I’ve sat in both are they are comfortable unless it’s warm, then they can get a bit toasty.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

How Do I find this post?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How Do I find this post?

Not sure if this link works or not. In the top right part of your screen you can search “stump” and the thread should show up on the list.

Stump blinds

Coletrain27

How Do I find this post?

It’s under the hunting general discousion titled stump blinds

27eyeguy

I was thinking of checking out a Freudantal Mfg blind, Medford WI. They look pretty decent on their website and reasonable price.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

Thanks for the search advice.

I just bought a Stump 3 for next year. Think I will like it. Just going to sit in my shop until next year.
    Dave at Viking Whitetail in Medford MN, has an awesome deal going for them.

Coletrain27

Thanks for the search advice.

I just bought a Stump 3 for next year. Think I will like it. Just going to sit in my shop until next year.
    Dave at Viking Whitetail in Medford MN, has an awesome deal going for them.

care to share how much you paid? i sent him a message a week ago or so and never heard anything back

backlash
    Owatonna MN

$2200
    Try calling him, he has always answered when I call him. Tell him Rick sent you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why not build a quality blind over buying a rotomolded one. They are so spendy and I’ve never seen a impressive one. A guy could build a high quality blind for 800 bucks.

Coletrain27

$2200
    Try calling him, he has always answered when I call him. Tell him Rick sent you.

That’s a good deal

Coletrain27

Why not build a quality blind over buying a rotomolded one. They are so spendy and I’ve never seen an impressive one. A guy could build a high quality blind for 800 bucks.

Yea I could build one out of wood but it would end up being really heavy and the banks blinds have nice windows and will last forever. By the time I bought all the materials and all my time into it I wouldn’t really be saving much

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yea I could build one out of wood but it would end up being really heavy and the banks blinds have nice windows and will last forever. By the time I bought all the materials and all my time into it I wouldn’t really be saving much
    [/quote]

I was just curious. I helped a buddy build 2 this year and they are super nice high quality. Took maybe 5 hours per each build and less then 800 in to each with Marvin windows. So the savings was big the quality was way better. That’s why I ask. But most blinds I seen were 3 to 4k and are cheap plastic crap. I was curious. I don’t hunt out of a blind but I might build like we did for a buddy one day.

Coletrain27

The only plastic blinds I’ve ever hunted from is the banks brand and they are nice quality imo. Also if I ever want to sell it they seem to hold their value very well. Our stands now are all homemade or ladder stands

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The only plastic blinds I’ve ever hunted from is the banks brand and they are nice quality imo. Also if I ever want to sell it they seem to hold their value very well. Our stands now are all homemade or ladder stands

I’ve only looked at the ones at fleet farm and the archery shop by me. Unsure of the brands, I’ll have to look in to what brands they were. I just assume like coolers, rotomolded blinds are all basically the same. I’m probably wrong. The price tags have only pushed me away from ever even considering, time is money. But time you put in to a quality build is even more money in your own pocket. Weight wise, does it matter ? Isn’t a skid or tractor required anyways to set them ? Guess I’m unsure of the rotomolds weight.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have about $480 in this one I built this fall. Its so nice !

Attachments:
    1. stand.jpg

Coletrain27

I’ve only looked at the ones at fleet farm and the archery shop by me. Unsure of the brands, I’ll have to look in to what brands they were. I just assume like coolers, rotomolded blinds are all basically the same. I’m probably wrong. The price tags have only pushed me away from ever even considering, time is money. But time you put in to a quality build is even more money in your own pocket. Weight wise, does it matter ? Isn’t a skid or tractor required anyways to set them ? Guess I’m unsure of the rotomolds weight.

The stump blinds can be laid on there side and then attach the wooden legs to them and then winch or pull them up with a wheeler. That’s part of the reason I don’t want to make a heavy wood one.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.