Bow vs Transom mounted TM…

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Well, now that I bought the new rig (Crestliner Pro Tiller 1850 w/ 90hrs…) I have 8 weeks to make some decisions before I take possession of the new rig. I have always used a bow mounted TM yet am considering a Transom mounted one. Does anyone know of a good read to answer some of these questions OR if you have any advise please let me know. My typical use for the TM will be jigging and dragging Lindy’s. I like to follow 14′-17′ weedlines on the 400 acre lake I am on. It sure is fun thinking about this sort of stuff now that I have the big decision of what boat to buy behind me!!! RR

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Do you plan on hooking up the potential bowmount TM to electronics, would be a factor.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

After fighting the battle of getting a bow mount for 11 years I finally got one and sold the transom mount. I ran a couple of my buddies boat last summer with the bow mount and there was no comparison control wise. Pulling the nose of the boat especially in the wind is much easier than pulling the transom of the boat. Plus the transom mount is way off the center of the boat compounding the issue. I got to the point where I would use every other option before my transom mount TM. I will see how much I hate having the motor in the way in the bow, but I am guessing the advantages will out weight that.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Good point: Yes I will have a separate bow mounted depth finder with the transducer on the bottom of the bow mounted trolling motor. I then will of course have a transom mounted depth finder/GPS unit for when I am driving the big motor…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I would go with a bow mount. For the type of fishing you say you do. I assume you will have 115 or smaller tiller motor which will idle down for any backtrolling situation. You can always add a transom unit at a later date but the bow mount gets more use in my boat. Especially for following weed lines and dragging. It really doesn’t compare. Good fishing. Mike

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have a 1775 Crestliner tiller that I bought new in 1991. blush Would love to have the boat you just bought but not in the cards at this time.

I have a transom mount and a bow mount, my typical fishing is in lakes and for lindy rigging, jigging, and casting to the weed edges, I use my transom mount 99% of the time. I find it much easier with other people in the boat to control and not trying to look around others to see the bow mount.

With the transom mount, everything is right at your finger tips, turn around and lower the trolling motor, bait up and go. I do use the bow mount for night time trolling of weedlines. In my opinion, the advantage of the tiller is never having to move, all right at your fingertips.

Please post some pictures, I would love to see your new rig. wave

Afisherman

Having purchased a Terrova this past year I am hooked. Using the GPS or the handheld remote to control trolling the boat (or spot lock anchoring) so I can spend my time enjoying fishing instead of running the boat. It is so relaxing and much more fun than my previous bow mount motor. One of the very best fishing purchases I have ever made. Almost like having a guide on the boat. Bought mine as a refurb (only 1 year warranty) from Cabela’s and saved $600. Would do it again without question. If you can, get the link model so it can interface with a Humminbird that lets you stay on mapped contours and save many more routes and waypoints! I have had both bow and transom motors. In my fishing applications this Terrova wins hands down and much more.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the ideas and yes Elk_Addict I will post pix. I have been waiting for this year for a LONG time so I am super pumped to get on the water (along with rigging this new boat…) RR

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In a perfect world, without financial restriction, I would own both.

Bow is my primary for best control. However, every once in a while you have that need to drag a boat backwards or kick the rear end over.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Oh yeah, I forgot spot lock. Not sure but I don’t think you can get that on transom mount and that is a MUST HAVE for me.

As far as having to go backwards sometimes, that is why I have a tiller.

Jeff Schomaker

Personally I would get both. Get yourself a good set of splash guards built for it and give yourself the opurtortunity to do both and not handicap yourself. I have both on my boat and for trolling anything I use the transom or big motor and when casting or vertical jigging I use the bow mount. Just my opinion.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Best would be both, but if I had to choose it would be the bowmount. More practical applications. Spot lock and auto pilot would be the two biggest advantages.

I’m a tiller guy and I like to stay back in my office, so it’s an adjustment. Rigging forward feels so much different unless I go up front and rig off of the starboard side. That’s about the hardest thing, but pretty minor.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I guess I am leaning towards a bow but I think that is just because that is what my old boat had set up so I know how to fish with that set up. Just entertaining the transom mount also…

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Got to have both. I use the transom for vertical jigging and the bow mount for pretty much every thing else. It only adds a couple bucks to the loan, go for it.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Rooster,
    If you do decide to add a transom TM, make sure one is installed when your dealer is locating your drivers seat. It can be a loooong reach back to the TM, its tilt bracket and handle, so unless you’re looking at a Vantage, make sure you can reach it, to use it.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 1-27-2016-7-51-48-AM.jpg

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Rooster,
    If you do decide to add a transom TM, make sure one is installed when your dealer is locating your drivers seat. It can be a loooong reach back to the TM, its tilt bracket and handle, so unless you’re looking at a Vantage, make sure you can reach it, to use it.

HRG

Great point Hot Runr…My salesman at the boat show also brought up that point. The boat won’t be ready for 8 weeks so I thats why I am thinking out loud now. Some great advise from everyone. Something else I should have mentioned. My 90 horse 4 stroke Merc will have the RPM +/- switch on it that allows me to move up n down 10rpm’s at a time so I should be able to go backwards plenty slow. Great idea on the seat location though…(Oh the seat in the picture is the one I ordered for the boat. They are nice!)

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

FWIW, I replaced my original seat pedestal with one a little taller, plus added a slider, so I could position my drivers seat over the storage area, and move my position a little further back.

Don’t compromise on a drivers seat location until everything feels right.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0384.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.