Bow questions from the total noob.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

OK, just got my eldest son a bow for his birthday. He’ll turn 7 this week.

Matthews Genesis, thanks to another IDO member.

So, now the questions. Keeping in mind, I’ve never even drawn a compound bow and the last arrow I shot was, well, let’s say it wasn’t quite the 1980s yet…

Sooooo.

– We’re going to need some arrows. It would be cruel to give a kid a bow, with no arrows. So, what length? I see most places list “youth” arrows as something around 26-28 inches. Is this right?

– Arrow type. Carbon? Aluminum? Keep in mind, this is strictly for 7 year old’s target practice, so I would think durability trumps other concerns.

– Is the nock size, where it slips over the string, universal? Or is a youth bow’s nock size smaller?

– Nock point. When the arrow is on the bow, is the nock point above or below the nock of the arrow?

– Odd colored fletching. At Boy Scout camp in 1979 the taught us that this faces to the left for a right hand shooter. Is this right? At archery lessons they taught the kids that the odd feather is straight up, but looking at arrows today, that would not work with the way they are set up.

You know, this looks kind of fun. Mrs. Grouse and I had it out tonight after the kids were in bed. We were just seeing if it worked, you know, to avoid disappointment…

But it is really fun.

Grouse

Pete S

Arrows – I would think something in the 24-26″ would be more than enough. aluminum is going to be cheaper but the nice thing with carbon (in most cases) they’re either broke or their fine, aluminums can bend. if he is going to be shooting in an area where he could lose arrows I would go aluminum.

the nock size is usually dependent on the arrow will accommodate most strings. If using a single nock, my experience is the arrow sits under the nock when it’s on the string.

On my daughters genesis we shoot the odd feather facing out to minimize contact with the rest/brace.

We had the rubber finger holder installed on the string of my daughters bow and she is a big fan. no shooting glove or finger tab needed.

Enjoy! It’s a ton of fun for the kids

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Something to think about…
    Check out NASP (National Archery in School Program) for equipment ideas. It may be worth considering if it is something you may get into down the road. I believe they use standardized bows, arrows, etc.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Head up to Bwana off of Rice St and Little Canada Rd. They will help you out a ton plus have everything you need to get him started. Even lessons.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

– Nock point. When the arrow is on the bow, is the nock point above or below the nock of the arrow?

– Odd colored fletching. At Boy Scout camp in 1979 the taught us that this faces to the left for a right hand shooter. Is this right? At archery lessons they taught the kids that the odd feather is straight up, but looking at arrows today, that would not work with the way they are set up.

Grouse

Single nocking point on the string = arrow below the nocking point

“Cock feather” up or out,,,, depends on style of arrow rest.

I suggest contacting a local FULL SERVICE archery shop or a local archery club for assistance. A local club would be your best bang for the buck.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks everyone. I’m trying to get the bow ready to shoot at Henry’s birthday because I know he’ll go crazy when he gets hit.

Henry’s already been taking lessons at A1 Archery in Hudson, so I’ll be having them go over the bow and maybe get him the same rest that they use in lessons.

Right now he’s taking the fall off from archery lessons as he’s in soccer and we have a “one activity” rule for organized sports. He wants to resume lessons after soccer is over in October, so he’ll be back to archery then.

It looks like the nock point is set up fine, so we’re good there.

Arrows were an issue as I just had no idea what was “standard” for a 7 year old. I’ll get him 6 arrows to tide him over.

I’ve waxed the string and generally cleaned up the bow, so it gets wrapped tonight.

Many thanks. My bet is he’ll want to be out shooting it on Sunday.

Grouse

realtreeap10
    Over there

Don’t get arrows that are to long, as they will not be as accurate if they are cut to fit him. Usually cut a little past the rest when at full draw. Make sure the draw length is set to fit him also. If it’s to short or to long it wont fit him and can exacerbate any other issues with accuracy. IE – consistent release point, torque and target vision. Pending the type of rest it can determine the arrow fletching location. If it’s a whisker biscuit not to big of a deal just make sure to nock them the same way each time. If it’s a drop away usually single vane up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Don’t get arrows that are to long, as they will not be as accurate if they are cut to fit him. Usually cut a little past the rest when at full draw. Make sure the draw length is set to fit him also. If it’s to short or to long it wont fit him and can exacerbate any other issues with accuracy. IE – consistent release point, torque and target vision.

My understanding is that the Genesis has a variable draw length and does not need to be set to a specific length. This was, I believe, what the instructor said was one of the main advantages of the Genesis and why they use them for youth programs.

I could be misunderstanding this, but that’s what I think I was being told.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Happy Birthday Henry!! What a great present!

Dallin Allred

also get a whisker biscuit they are way more accurate then a regular rest, and if your 7 year old wants to continue in archery buy a good target a 20 pound target just will not work for a 40 pound bow.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Get him a helmet for when he shoots arrows straight up in the sky for the first time… I remember my first, and only bow )

catmando
    wis

someone sugested lessons i agree, nothing worse starting something, and doing it wrong, If going to shoot fingers, i say use a tab, nothing worse than finger shooting and being a finger plucking, which means thowing your hand open. have fun.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hi everyone. My son is and has been enrolled in lessons since before I orginally posted this. He now uses his own bow.

Agree, the whisker biscuit is IMO a must have as it is just so much easier for little hands to get everything lined up when the arrow is held by the biscuit and then the can concentrate on nocking. Also from a safety standpoint, not as much chance of a stray arrow because it came off the rest at a bad time.

We actually have the opposite problem at our home practice range. The store bought target was so tough that my son’s bow won’t stick arrows in it. They just bounce off which is disappointing to him as everyone wants to see their arrows go THUNK with a good solid hit.

So we had to kick it old school and get some straw bales. Only thing I could come up with that was big enough and soft enough to catch an arrow from his sub-20 pound bow.

Only problem with this archery thing is that in the interests of Child Safety, I (as a father) had to try out Henry’s bow. I mean, like for at least a few hundred shots. For safety and whatnot, I mean you cannot be to careful these days.

So there I am drilling arrows into the target and Henry has gone inside to complain to the management (mum) that I’m hogging the bow and not sharing. So ok, I got sent to the naughty spot for a while and then had to agree to take turns, etc.

That got me thinking, hey… I should get my own bow…

Grouse

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Hey Grouse, how’d those lessons go?

My 12yr old daughter just received a compound from Grandma and Grandpa for X-mas and I’m far more removed than you with bow know how. I think my Dad wants to lead the charge with her on setting it up and everything, but figured I’d better know some stuff. They got a Compound Bow for Dummies book?

All I remember from scouts was trying to curl the long bow around your leg enough to put on the stupid string which eventually led to me looking even stupider. So these strings and optics and releases and heaven knows all the other stuff is baffling.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My oldest, now 7, took lessons until September and then it was soccer season, so he’s starting again next week at A1 Archery in Hudson. Can’t say enough good things about this shop.

We did visit a couple of weeks ago to have a new Whisker Biscuit rest put on and for one of those string grip thingies that make it easier to grip and hold the string. They are great for the kids as they don’t encourage the use of releases until the kids have got the form down and are more skilled with handling the bow.

So far I have resisted buying gear myself, but just in the interest of science, I did have to look. And shoot a few…

Grouse

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

So far I have resisted buying gear myself, but just in the interest of science, I did have to look. And shoot a few…

Grouse

I think in the interest of science you may want to give in to your resistance, I am sure the kiddo would enjoy trying to show up dad!

Now that I started deer hunting this year the FW surprised me with a new bow a few nights ago for x-mas! While my daughter was at dance she said lets stop by the bow shop (Bwana’s), which pretty much never happens with any sporting shop when I am with.

I walked out with a new Hoyt Spyder, and my son (3 yo) walked out with a $20 kids recurve they sell for him and his sister to start using with me.

I finally shot yesterday for the first time in 15-20 years, I am already looking forward to next year! Bwana’s was great to work with, and they spent some time with me showing me how to use the bow and how to get started and get the sights dialed in.

Might have to start turkey hunting as well! )

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I agree Grouse, you need to get a bow so you don’t have to share. Would be an outstanding way to spend time with the boy. Christmas is just 2 days away and turkey season is a mere couple months!!! Just sayin coffee

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

While my daughter was at dance she said lets stop by the bow shop (Bwana’s), which pretty much never happens with any sporting shop when I am with.

You can say that again! LOL.

If Mrs. Grouse ever said to me, “Let’s stop by [insert any hunting/fishing-related shop here]”, I’d have some kind of break with reality and probably pass out or something.

Last time in Cabelas, we had been there a full 7 minutes before Her Indoorsness announced that she was bored. I said, “Oh, look here. They have girlie camo clothes that have like pink on them and stuff.”

I got the most fantastic, “Not impressed” look I think I’ve ever gotten.

Grouse

I agree Grouse, you need to get a bow so you don’t have to share. Would be an outstanding way to spend time with the boy. Christmas is just 2 days away and turkey season is a mere couple months!!! Just sayin coffee

You haven’t seen me stumbling around the dark woods and trying to call yet. Let’s not make this any harder than it needs to be. Currently, my best chance at getting a turkey is to have one drop dead of laughter.

Grouse

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.