Bobcat??

• Brian G
    Independence, MN

Here’s an interesting pic. It looks like a bobcat, but you can almost make out a long tail. Opinions?

Attachments:
    1. MFDC0490.jpg

CaptainMusky

Bobcat would have been my initial guess, but after looking at a ton of young cougar pics I am second guessing it.
    So I will go with Chupacabra. -)

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

yeah, looks like a juvenile cougar

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

no doubt in my mind, it’s a cougar.

CaptainMusky

no doubt in my mind, it’s a cougar.

What threw me a bit was the ears and the black under the jawline. Then I looked at some juvenile cougar pics and this was pretty common. The coat almost looked blocky, but young ones have spots, so yeah, I have to agree its gotta be a Cougar.

@brianlg
    was this in MN?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Interesting. To have juveniles, momma isn’t too far away this time of year. You would hAve an extremely difficult time convincing me that is a bobcat

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Interesting. To have juveniles, momma isn’t too far away this time of year. You would hAve an extremely difficult time convincing me that is a bobcat

I am with you on this Randy!

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

What he said…looks like a cougar to me also..

mattgroff

I think it’s a bobcat. If you look at the back legs you can see the black spots on the in side of the thigh. Thus indicating to me it’s a bobcat. But I’m no expert

mattgroff

It looks damn big to be a bobcat though so idk

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Big Bobcat markings on inside legs dictate my opion

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I say bobcat as well, the inside of the back leg has the distinct marks, associated with a bobcat. Also, if you look closely I can make out what appears strongly to be the tell tail (pun intended) tail of a babcat, black with a white tip. I circled the similarities I see that make me assume babcat. With that said, I don’t ever doubt the possibility of the big cats moving through MN,WI, IL or really any Midwestern state, this photo to me just says bobcat.

(Sorry about the multiple pictures, and the original being so small, I couldn’t edit it to delete the extras)

Attachments:
    1. MFDC04901.jpg

2. images4W52Z7Q91.jpg

3. images4W52Z7Q9.jpg

4. MFDC0490-200x2001.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I see my post last night is gone, so I don’t have the other pics to include.

Juvenile Cougars will have spots (including under belly and inner leg-white hair/black spots for up to 10 months. Rarely longer than that, but it is possible.

Bobcats tail on a mature cat is maybe 6″ long which barely is long enough to pass or even go to the patella (knee cap). A cougar’s tail is generally 45% of their total body length – nose-to-butt. From what I can see, the tail clearly extends out of the pic and way over 6″ of that on a mature bobcat.

One way to clearly find out. Hunt it down and take some indisputable clear pics of it – killing it would be illegal evil

FryDog62

What was location? I just heard of a cougar sighting in SW Minn/Western SoDak.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Extremely difficult to tell.

My inclination is a big bobcat. The tips of the ears, the inside of the leg, and the proportion of the head to the body size makes me think that it’s a bobcat.

But that’s just a guesstimate. Very difficult to know for sure based only on one picture.

Grouse

Brian G
    Independence, MN

Yes, the picture was taken on my hunting land just 10 miles or so west of Mille Lacs. It’s in a natural funnel between two big sloughs, and so far I have photographed deer, turkeys, lots of bear, coons, coyotes, and now this big cat.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll weigh in on the Bob. If it was a cougar a lot more of the tail would be present at the body and that black tail cap really puts the clincher on it for me. I can’t see it in the pictures showing the bobcat in stride but there is a black spot on an ear in the posting picture that a bob has too.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

doesn’t every guy enjoy a cougar sighting…..?? applause applause

umichjesse
    Plymouth

bobcat, I think what many folks are calling the long tail leaving the edge of the picture is just its right back leg. the tail is short with a black tip, just hard to tell because the picture is blurry.

Brian G
    Independence, MN

Here’s another pic that maybe more clearly shows the tail. I think this pic more definitely suggests a bobcat, but I am still not sure.

Attachments:
    1. Bobcat2.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

bobcat, I think what many folks are calling the long tail leaving the edge of the picture is just its right back leg. the tail is short with a black tip, just hard to tell because the picture is blurry.

That is exactly what I did, now with the second picture I can confirm I was 100% wrong saying cougar.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>umichjesse wrote:</div>

That is exactly what I did, now with the second picture I can confirm I was 100% wrong saying cougar.

X2

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.