Bobber stops

• Lee

I really like using a bobber-stop string on my line for a depth marker and also a visual reference(as I am a ‘line-watcher’)
    Common Problems: 1.The knot gets caught in the rod guides (even on warm days) and will slide out of position…or worse.. (Especially on rods with small guides ex the Tickle Stick)
    2 The knot snags line on the spool, prevents line from releasing smoothly. I prefer spinning reels, but do have level wind reels such as ‘Black Betty’, and the snagging problem isn’t quite as bad…

Any suggestions for better knots, or string, or rod guides is appreciated.
    (The same difficulties exist with the popular, expensive custom rods…so that isn’t the solution I’m looking for,and of course I own them)

I want to use a colored string as a visual locator, have it go through the guides,and spool/unspool smoothly.
    Thanks
    (And sometimes I’ll even use a quick- attach slip bobber on that string…)

popcorn

I tried the bobber stop thing for a while for the same reasons you use and finaly decided to go to a high vis line for line Watching. You can still use a low vis leader if needed but in most cases it doesn’t seem to make a difference. As far as a bobber goes you might be better off with a second rod or a clip on bobber of some sort.

I realize this doesn’t answer your original question but it’s the answer I came up with from experience.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

No bobber stops are great for winter. But if you must. I would learn to tie your own out of very small line that will be a smaller knot. Trial and error.

dragonflag

I started the notion of using knot stops as a means of engaging a release arm for a tip-up like apparatus that works with the users own rod and reel combo.

one good way to keep them from slipping is floss. the kind that is flat more so than round. run a short length through the stop / straw before removing the straw and tightening the stop. do this at the general depth you will be fishing. Trim the floss short but leave the tag ends long enough to re cinch with plyers. Don’t over tighten when you set them initially or you’ll never move it again.

they can hang up. the best I can say is to be aware of where it is throughout the process of landing your fish, and time your (pull up reel down) pumps accordingly, watching out for those two spots. Rod tip and bail.

there is a third bad spot during late ice. as the ice is on the way out is has cracks or cone ice. The line can wander into those cracks if a fish makes a run sideways. I know from bad experience.

We’re a bunch of gamblers. Tight lines..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.