BOAT MOTOR QUESTION

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

This may be a silly question to some but I would like a answer from a reliable source. If I have a boat motor (Honda 13hp GX390 on mud motor) how do I tell if it charges the battery when running or not? Is it an alternator? How do I tell? Please and Thank you.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

With the engine not running, hook up a multi-meter to the battery. Observe the reading.

Then start the motor and give it about half throttle. You will see the voltage rise if you have an alternator. Generally, with the motor off you’ll see about 12-12.5 volts and then with the engine running it will rise to about 14 to 15.5 volts.

All of the above are approximate, I did not look up the specs but if you want you can look up the outputs at given RPM levels. The point is that you will see a voltage rise as the batter if the system has an alternator. Almost everything with an electric start now has an alternator so I’d be surprised if it didn’t

Otherwise, with a full model number, I could look up the parts diagram and see if there is an alternator on that model.

Grouse

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals when it is off and when it is running, if higher voltage running it is charging. It won’t have an alternator it will have a stator.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I think that is the full model number Honda GX390 (13hp). thank you

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That motor should of came with a 10 amp coil charger, but there are options for 25W, 50W / 1A, 3A, 10A, 18A. Only way to know for sure is to get the model number of the coil off of the flywheel.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Supercat so are you saying it does have a charger? Just could vary in amperage?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

It has electric start correct? If yes is should have the coil charger or as onestout said a stator same thing just different name. I’m not sure what your purpose of the charger is other then charging the battery for the electric start?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think that is the full model number Honda GX390 (13hp). thank you

The full model number will be longer. Here’s a parts lookup list of all GX390 models.

Grouse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.