Boat fuel level

• Todd

How much fuel do you guys keep in your boat during the summer? Local dealer told me to only keep the amount of fuel in tank that I plan on using in a reasonable time frame due to poor fuel quality these days. So I typically keep about 1/4 tank of fuel in boat during the summer months and fill when I winterize. Is this a good strategy to use in order always have fresh fuel for every trip? I am concerned about condensation during the summer months.I have a 40 gallon fuel tank so it would take all summer to even use 3/4 of it if I filled it (don’t travel long distances on boat). I do use the Yamaha stabilizer and conditioner and ring free when I put fuel in the boat. I also will change the fuel water separator every year. What do you guys do?

basseyes

I use non oxy and don’t like to go more than half full in the summer. Then fill it over winter.

Let the non oxy vs corn fuel debate begin.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have an 80 gallon tank and keep it wherever. When I have to put gas in I’ll try to put 1-2 months worth.

When I go out on superior and Isle Royale I’ll fill it to the top and may have to refuel once more in a trip.

That’s just me and how I use my boat.

Oh, and ALWAYS non oxy.

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

i put premium fuel in with no ethanol. keep it 3/4 to full. in the winter I will let it get to half or below.

Timmy

Nonoxy for this guy. 45 gal tank and i try to follow the old rule of never taking off on a decent trip without a topped off tank. Like big gil – with trips such as isle royale, it is not uncommon to start off with a full tank plus a couple 7gallon cans and still have to stop and buy fuel at washington harbor during the trip.

Fill it up over winter and maybe toss a couple cand of seafoam in it as well. 14 yrs running and it has worked so far.

Kyhl
    Savage

I use non oxy. During the summer the tank is wherever I leave it. Sometimes full, sometimes < 1/4.

Full tank over the winter to limit the amount of surface area available to create condensation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.