Boat battery question

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

So I have a mud motor on a flat bottom. 13 hp Honda with electric start. Manual says need battery with at least 18 Ah. Other resources said at least 30 Ah battery. MY question is….I have one of those battery jump packs here. The charger port broke and can not easily be charged. So I took it apart and just have the battery from that. It says 750m peak amps. It is nice and small. Can I put this in my boat to start this 13hp Honda engine? I know if I try it and it don’t work the answer is no. I guess my concern it hooking it up and having to much juice and damaging the motor. I will just be using this for starting, no accessories. Anybody actually know how to figure this out? Please and thank you for any help.

Reef W

The starter draws whatever amperage it wants so the peak doesn’t matter as long as it’s enough. The amp hours are how much energy is stored, 1 amp hour is it can supply 1 amp for 1 hour. It will start your motor, that’s what a jump pack is for, but it’s be concerned about how many times it can do it before needing to be recharged since they aren’t made to store a lot.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As Reef said, if the battery in the jump pack is in good condition, it will work fine. If your Honda motor has a charging system, it will keep working.

I’ve read or heard several stories of people strapping a jump pack under the hood as an emergency substitute for a battery that suddenly crapped out. We used a jump pack in Canada one year to power a boat and electronics while a dead starting battery sat on a charger. It worked fine, but it won’t provide hours of sustained power so you can’t be running livewells, etc with it.

Adam Steffes

I would be a bit leary on hooking it to the charging system without knowing the particulars on the battery design. Might fry the charging system or the battery.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.