Big Ol' Spider!

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My SIL found this on our cabin last weekend. It’s one of the biggest spiders (I have big fingers) I’ve ever seen in MN!
    It appears to be a fishing spider. I relocated it to a tree a little further from habitation.

Attachments:
    1. 20190703_112748.jpg

2. 20190703_112805.jpg

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Thanks for my nightmare tonight…..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I would’ve killed that monster and then burned the cabin down.

Actually, I would’ve had my wife kill it…..

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awww he’s pretty! And kinda fuzzy. Cool photos, Ryan. grin

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sweet. I’ve seen them on my dock.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fishing spider. They are all over the croix area and can be found under all the docks and rocks and such. Usually near water

Ryan

nope. See ya.

mike e

That must be what scared the crap out of us by Ely. We were island camping and made a firewood run to shore. Lots of wind and waves that weekend and of course being Ely, rocks. Coasting in on the swells with the motor up we came up to a tree that leaned way out over the water. A moment later all 3 of us are plastered to the boat floor screaming like little girls, especially during wave peaks.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I remember seeing them up at my bros cabin. We’d see them on a retaining wall in the creek. I also almost stuck my hand on a couple moving the tires on the dock posts.

I’ll post a picture of a wolf spider once everyone shorts dry.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Caught a big flathead a few weeks ago and parked on shore to revive it… Released the fish, looked up and this giant, furry $#%^ head was staring me in the face less than a foot away — about 4.5″ wide.

If that never happens again I’d be just fine.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9110.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Kill them all…..I don’t care if they eat the mosquitoes.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That spider eats minnows and water bugs

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

That spider eats minnows and water bugs

Kill them first then….

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

If it’s smaller than your boot,no need to be afraid of it.Come on girls.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Spider bites are no fun ! I still have scars.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We found one of those nasty things in an old ice cream pale I had in the garage This last weekend. There was no way I was touching that thing! I had my 10 yr old daughter go dump it for me.. ICK!!!

jake47
    WI

Sounds like some of you….

Attachments:
    1. Spider.jpg

welliou

Had a big Wolf spider inside my RV a couple years ago. Reading up on them I found that they hunt their prey and when found inside they will be on a window or door frame most of the time. The one I had was on a door frame. Quite startling to say the least.

404 ERROR
    MN

That’s getting filed right between Chuck Norris and Methamphetamine in the “Things I don’t mess with” folder…

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m honestly surprised at how many of you really don’t like spiders! Or snakes for that matter. I can see being apprehensive around an animal that has attacked/bitten you, but how many people can say that? I think the only wild animal that’s ever bitten me was a mouse, and it was my fault anyway for picking him up to play. roll

I’m an animal lover – always have been. Some people are surprised when they find out I’m also a hunter, knowing how much I like all kinds of animals – spiders, snakes, rodents, insects, reptiles (especially turtles!), dogs, cats, toads, fish, birds – you name it! It’s a good balance.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

I’m honestly surprised at how many of you really don’t like spiders! Or snakes for that matter. I can see being apprehensive around an animal that has attacked/bitten you, but how many people can say that? I think the only wild animal that’s ever bitten me was a mouse, and it was my fault anyway for picking him up to play. roll

I’m an animal lover – always have been. Some people are surprised when they find out I’m also a hunter, knowing how much I like all kinds of animals – spiders, snakes, rodents, insects, reptiles (especially turtles!), dogs, cats, toads, fish, birds – you name it! It’s a good balance.

Me thinks you’re mistaking “don’t like” for fear.I like and respect most critters and their purpose and place in the world(mosquitoes and ticks excluded)but,admittedly,I have a fear of wasps and hornets,I like them,I know they’re very beneficial but,at a distance please.I never kill spiders,even in my house,unless I would happen to suddenly feel something crawling on me,at which point,I wouldn’t have the presence of mind to find out what it was before slapping it in a panic. shock

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Anyone have a side by side comparison of the major big spiders in MN?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wonder why wolf spiders in MN are so small.

I used to find crab spiders in flowerets of milkweed when looking for monarch caterpillars. Cool looking spiders.

Jumping spiders were always my favorite. Used to keep big black ones as pets. Use caution though, they will bite when threatened. They seem intelligent the way they will watch you. I actually found one on my sister’s Weber that was actively following me as I moved.

I learned they will bite when I tried transporting a tiny one, half the size of a grain of rice from inside to outside. It was like being zapped by a fire ant. I assume the bigger ones feel worse.

We have jumping spiders down here but I rarely see them where in Minnesota you could find them on the side of every house.

Deuces

Jumping spiders were always my favorite. Used to keep big black ones as pets. Use caution though, they will bite when threatened. They seem intelligent the way they will watch you

When I first got the big boat few years back now, brought er home and started to clean it out. The FW and other kids were gonna be home soon to check it out and they were super excited to see it. Unfortunately it sat under a tarp at waters edge and had a bazillion spiders in it. Ain’t no way in he!! their first impressions of it was gonna be with the creepy crawlies everywhere. Time was of the essence so brought out the barehanded spider ars kicking chuck Norris in me. They stood no chance, plucking em off one finger at a time, bigger ones got the palm or straight Kung Fu chop. Even got both hands involved and would take 2 at a time. Going inverted under consoles and sideways in side lockers got style points.

With that said, ever since then I’ve had a relatively calm demeanor on the things. Until other day had a jumping spider in upstairs window(teen room). Of course I get deployed to take out the enemy. It was unbelievable how long it took for the finger bomb to get that thing. Always jumping at the last second to avoid death. Legendary battle, fought with vigor I’ll never forget.

RIP jumping spider.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.