Big Kings

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

After a fairly dismal past two years, the big kings have returned to Lake Michigan! Seems as though the mild winter has done wonders for the build on our fish this year. Were seeing more true 20# kings this year than I can ever remember. They’re sitting in 50-150 fow depending on the day, and smashing divers with Flasher Fly combos out 70-150loc and spoons on riggers at 50-60ft down. If you’ve ever wanted to boat a truly giant king, this may be the year to do it. Get out while the gettings good. Should be a fun summer!

Attachments:
    1. imagejpeg_1.jpg

2. imagejpeg_0.jpg

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

few more 4s

Attachments:
    1. 20160621_174200.jpg

2. 20160624_204049.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Last week I was getting ready to put my Lake Michigan stuff away for the season after a great time on the Coho’s… hoping not to get bit by this bug. The panfishing will have to wait a little longer.

My net is just big enough for the cohos this season – I know it wouldn’t fit one of those!

Nice job!

bigpike

Great to hear the dead sea does not quite yet have the dagger stuck into her heart! Nice fish!

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

How far behind the ball do you run? My biggest challenge is knowing what to try without getting tangled with my dad’s tight turns.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Tim- I run two riggers and will typically run a spoon on one and FF on the other. Riggers are set about 5-10ft apart from each other for depth, and usually the FF running higher of the two. FF set at about 20ft back from the ball and spoon about 40ft. I play around with them and experiment, but thats a good starting point and will avoid tangles.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Thanks eye. That is about where I am on distance. Last time out, we were running four riggers and all set at different depths.

My dad comes from strictly dragging floating crankbaits in less than 15 fow, so these weighted divers and leadcore concepts are forgotten when he jumps behind the wheel of the boat. doah

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Nice catch bud!

The fishing has been outstanding, weather it is out of Milwaukee, Port Washington or just about any other port you want to try! No bad trips this year so far!

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Thanks Art!

Glad to hear you’re having a good season as well. It’s a lot easier to stomach numbers of kings being a little lower, when we’ve got sharks like this swimming around.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.