Big Buddy heater problems

• Tedd Johnson

So it seems now when I’m out in my hub the Big Buddy heater comes on for a while then goes out still has plenty left in the two propane tanks not sure if it’s the oxygen sensor kicking it off as I do have air flow and both vents open both doors cracked and didn’t bank up the snow so there were drafts coming from the bottom anyone else have any problems with these or know of a solution? What would be a good alternative to the buddy heaters?

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

It was my experience with the buddy heaters that they do not like too much draft from the outside. I switched to a sunflower type heater as I don’t bank my shelter generally.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I also have the same problem with my little buddy. It will come on and operate properly for a while, say maybe 15 minutes, but will then have burning problems and finally go out. From then on, I will have issues re-lighting and if it does, it will only last for a minute before it goes out again. I have taken it somewhat apart and cleaned the nozzle/jet with Q-tips, alcohol, etc…but still no fix. Maybe I have to take it fully apart. Any suggestions would be great.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I am running just the small, 1# tanks. There is no filter needed for these.

phillipjflores
    Stanchfield

I had the same problem last year. Although I use a big buddy heater, the same situation kept happening to me. What I ended up doing is putting a filter on the unit. I still had the same problem until I realized that when I was packing up for the night I was turning the heater off at the unit, so I started turning the unit off at the propane tank and I have not had the problem again. I go out on West Rush lake every Friday night after work so I worked the heck out of my heater and still have not had the problem reoccur.

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

I had this same problem. Mine got moisture in it over deer hunting. I did the alcohol in the tube and really blew it out with an air compressor. I stored it inside over night and then when it did start I ran it inside on high. Seems to be fine now but I am interested to see if it lasts.

Tedd Johnson

I had the same problem last year. Although I use a big buddy heater, the same situation kept happening to me. What I ended up doing is putting a filter on the unit. I still had the same problem until I realized that when I was packing up for the night I was turning the heater off at the unit, so I started turning the unit off at the propane tank and I have not had the problem again. I go out on West Rush lake every Friday night after work so I worked the heck out of my heater and still have not had the problem reoccur.

Are you using 1# tanks?

phillipjflores
    Stanchfield

No, a 20# tank. What was happening is by turning off my heater at the unit its self propane and air was freezing up the line and wouldn’t ignite or stay lit if it did. Now, when I’m getting ready to leave, the first thing I do is shut off the tank and let all of the residual propane and air burn off while I am packing up and the next time I use it, it starts right up. This started at the beginning of last season, 1st couple of times out, then after figuring this out not a single problem the next 25+ times.

Tedd Johnson

No, a 20# tank. What was happening is by turning off my heater at the unit its self propane and air was freezing up the line and wouldn’t ignite or stay lit if it did. Now, when I’m getting ready to leave, the first thing I do is shut off the tank and let all of the residual propane and air burn off while I am packing up and the next time I use it, it starts right up. This started at the beginning of last season, 1st couple of times out, then after figuring this out not a single problem the next 25+ times.

Im using the 1 pounders but think that’s what happened i got it going and unscrewed the tank while it was on did that a few times and seems ok now going out tomorrow to wet a line and will test it for a good while

Nick Smith

I hear you guys on this problem and agree shutting the unit off at the tank is the way to go. I just want to say about the 1 pound tanks, that you must be very careful unscrewing them from the unit while the heater is still running. If the valve on the one pounder gets stuck when it pops off of the heater there will be propane spraying out of it and onto open flame / heater tiles and will result in a huge ball of flame or worse the one pounder exploding. I have personally had the huge ball of flame thing happen to me.

Tedd Johnson

So out fishing yesterday morning heater worked good only time it went out was when the tank was empty went through 2 one pounders in about 4 hours going to have to start using the 20lb tanks. But it worked ok waytogo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.