Best way to protect Icehouse from rock chips?

• usmarine0352

Friend is getting a new permanent icehouse and was told that rocks thrown up would quickly damage the front of his truck.

He’s looking at either mud flaps or like a much larger Towtector or Rock Tamer style mud flaps that hang off of the hitch.

Is rock chip damage a legitimate concern and if so, what is the best option to protect the icehouse?

B-man

Some diamond plate on the shack is all that’s needed (in my experience).

If he flys down gravel roads consistently he might want to go a step further.

Coletrain27

Some decent mud flaps will help. I made my own rock tamer style flaps. Most people don’t have anything and I’ve never noticed a shack that’s been beat up from rocks

Attachments:
    1. 31DEE100-3771-4D59-BAEB-E262EFAA148E.jpeg

MX1825

I would go with what B-man suggested. Aluminum diamond plate on the front of the house and Towtector or Rock Tamers on the truck.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I had to run mine down about 60mi of gravel on a trip to MT once.
    I built a set of rocktamers full width and 2″ off the ground. Paint is still on the Alum clad but it looks like a Walmart yoga pants convention…

My house was toast from the first 30mi. I could no believe how much damage was caused with having the oversized flaps. One of my propane tanks was sandblasted, I kid you not. For the 30mi return I taped cardboard an additional 3′ above my diamond plate and it was pretty darn tore up after that 30mi life. I personally do not have much to say about super flaps…

I would say adding diamond plate 36-48″ up with VHB tape would be your best option. The first 24″ takes the most damage.

Ripjiggen

Diamond plate and towtector. The problem with the big rubbber mud flaps or rock tamers is the rocks still have to go somewhere. When the hit a big chunk of rubber they still bounce somewhere else usually down and then back up. The other problem with them is if they are real low and you hit a bump and they hit gravel well you just took blade and jammed it into the ground at what ever speed you were going.
    Tow rectors with the brushes tend to catch or dampen the rocks much better IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.