Best way to get to Bemiji

• dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Hello,

My family and I are coming up to Bemidji for a nice family weekend to see the headwaters of the Mississippi River.

What is the best way to get to Bemidji from the twin cities? (Hey 371 or 64 to 10)

Is getting the Itasca pretty easy to navigate to from Bemiji?

We are going up to see the sights so fishing will not be on the agenda.

Thank you,

Dan

smokinbobo
    Participant
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

6I almost always take 64 unless I want to stop at Reed’s in Walker. It is faster as there are none of the smaller towns you’ll have to go through on 371 (cheaper too….). If you take 64 you will hit 200 between Laporte ad Kabekona at the end of 64. Take a left to go to Kabekona. From there you are 16 miles to Bemidji via 71 north, or you can take a left and continue on to Itasca by way of highway 200 / 71 south through Lake George. Easy navigation all the way around.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Like said above, 64.

Heading north on HWY 10 stay on 10 at the Little Falls 371/10 split.

Take 10 to Motley, at the N. end of town turn R. on 210 and cross the Crow Wing river and turn left on HWY 64.

Take 64 to Akeley (49 miles)

Turn R. on 34 then L. to continue on 64 up to 200 as Smokinbobo said.

From Motley on it’s all scenic backroads with no small towns and reduced speed limits.

About 15 miles N. of Motley on 64 is Leader, There’s a gas station that sells huge ice cream cones. The gas there is usually cheaper than anywhere else and you will probably see Elvis and Marilyn Monroe inside. waytogo

fisherman-j
    Participant
    Northern MN

Plus there’s construction on 371 from Walker to Cass Lake. Take 64 – plus less motor homes and traffic in general.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Like said above, 64.

Heading north on HWY 10 stay on 10 at the Little Falls 371/10 split.

Take 10 to Motley, at the N. end of town turn R. on 210 and cross the Crow Wing river and turn left on HWY 64.

Take 64 to Akeley (49 miles)

Turn R. on 34 then L. to continue on 64 up to 200 as Smokinbobo said.

From Motley on it’s all scenic backroads with no small towns and reduced speed limits.

About 15 miles N. of Motley on 64 is Leader, There’s a gas station that sells huge ice cream cones. The gas there is usually cheaper than anywhere else and you will probably see Elvis and Marilyn Monroe inside. waytogo

Yep, 371 is a nightmare on Fridays and Sundays too. I even take 10 to 64 to get to and from Hackensack if I’m going up during the weekend cabin exodus.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.