Best time to buy rifles?

• Ross Gunderson

Hey guys for those of you who buy a lot of guns, when is usually the best time to buy a tikka T3X lite?

deertracker

There are always sales before the deer gun season but I would also check online.
    Bud’s, Gun Broker and Reed’s usually have good prices.
    DT

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Is there ever really a bad time?

????

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Fall goods ship to dealers usually in july/aug. Many dealers order from distrobutors as needed. So, that gives you an idea of stocking dates.
    Tikka is usually a lower stock item since its a little higher priced. If your watching local, i would say time to deal is after gun deer season. Otherwise, watch online for thebright deal

bclii
    MN/AZ

Tax time!

Dan Baker

I love my Tikka T3. What the difference with the X?
    Dan

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I love my Tikka T3. What the difference with the X?
    Dan

“The New T3x has a larger recoil pad then the older Tikka T3 to help reduce felt recoil. The T3x has extra tapped holes for attaching a picatinny rail. … As you can tell the major difference between the Tikka T3 vs T3x is a 3/4lb weight difference due to the steel lug improvement in the T3x and the different T3x stocks.Jan 14, 2018”

404 ERROR
    MN

Most gun shops only markup guns 15-18%. Sure, there’s sales that go on for a little savings, but you generally don’t see large discounts on guns unless they’re a more popular, bulk purchase by a dealer.

tornadochaser

The best time has been the last two years.
    TC Compass rifles for $175, Ruger Americans for $350, AR’s for $325. High end Chassis guns for $900 off MSRP. Salad Days…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hey guys for those of you who buy a lot of guns, when is usually the best time to buy a tikka T3X lite?

I have seen a lot of good sales in the whole mayhem runup to Christmas. Watch the big box chains, Cabelas/Bass Pro, etc, there is always one good sale that will include Tikka.

I think Beretta keeps a pretty tight leash on Tikka prices, so if you can find a sale or good price, it’s unlikely to get much, much better.

As mentioned Reeds and Buds Gun Shop have good prices. I think some are scared away because they think online ordering will be complex, but these retailers make finding a FFL to receive the rifle very easy. I use an FFL holder that’s in the burbs of Woodbury and he charged $20 for his service the last time I used him. That more than made it worth it to buy online.

BTW, I have purchased Tikkas starting the first year they came out in the USA. I had read about them in the European sporting press and they got rave reviews. They have never disappointed. I have 3 of them including the original .22-250 that has thousands of rounds down the barrel and they are, without exception, total tack drivers for the price. I would be completely unsurprised if the Tikka could do 5k rounds with no significant accuracy loss.

I just wrapped up deer season with a deer shot with my .243 Tikka. One shot, stone dead. Can’t ask for anything more from a rifle and going back 20 years you would have struggled to get that kind of accuracy in a sporter at ANY price.

Grouse

Brad Dimond

Best time for me to buy a rifle is when my wife is out of town visiting her mother. No questions…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Best time for me to buy a rifle is when my wife is out of town visiting her mother. No questions…

I simply told my wife that a new gun was the result of two older guns being left too close together in the safe. A pair of varmint rifles get put a little too close together, nature takes its course, and a few months later a baby .223 is born. You can’t fight nature.

Grouse

Brad Dimond

The odd thing with my wife is that she doesn’t tell me to not buy a gun but questions what I will use it for. Seems baffled when I tell her “to shoot stuff”.

disco bobber

The SHOT show starts Jan 21 and that is when new products are announced. If that might influence your decision.

Just buy a rifle with plenty of time to sight it in before season. I remember being in a Burger brothers store 20 some years ago in June and a guy just picked up a new rifle. He walked away from the counter and another customer remarked, “Why would anyone buy a new rifle this time of year?

I am thinking of a new lighter rifle myself. I would consider a Tikka if they had the threaded barrel. Maybe a Browning Hells Canyon Speed or a Christiansen Mesa. Maybe a 6.5 PRC. I will see if the Shot show bring new announcements in guns and loads for this caliber.

tornadochaser

Maybe a 6.5 PRC. I will see if the Shot show bring new announcements in guns and loads for this caliber.

There absolutely will be existing and new models released after SHOT in 6.5 PRC. I know of a few guys that were testing soon to be released 6.5 PRC guns and bullets on SD west river deer last week.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The best way to shop is to never stop shopping. You never know who, what, where will strike because there really isn’t anything predictable. Watch for discontinued items to appear as they tend to break free from contract pricing and when retailers need to create space for the new models, they will clear them out, again, sometimes per contract agreement.

Most recently, Fleet Farm had their 25% off lowest clearance price clearance sale. They had Axis II rifles priced down to $319, and I couldn’t find any under $400 online. Take the additional 25% off and you’ve got a whale of a deal! How does $239 sound? Many other options were available depending on store stock and the savings were untouchable.

Know what you’re looking for and/or willing to accept and just keep surfing and keeping a sharp eye on local sales. When your opportunity comes, pounce. I bought 2 rifles and 2 handguns off that sale for $904 after tax. They’re not Tikka. They’re not Browning. But for the out of pocket, there’s a lot of bang for the buck there, plenty of fun to be had, and enough accurate consistency to put down the same targets and fill those freezers just the same.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Should have hit up the gander outdoors while they were shutting down store. Scored me a $1200 .308 for $750!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Should have hit up the gander outdoors while they were shutting down store. Scored me a $1200 .308 for $750!

Keep an eye on the stores that re-opened Bob. I hear they’re in trouble again.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Ruger Americans for $350

Don’t waste your time or money! I made that mistake and it has been nothing but a headache. Been very disappointed with my .3006 ruger. Stick with the tikka!

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tornadochaser wrote:</div>
    Ruger Americans for $350

Don’t waste your time or money! I made that mistake and it has been nothing but a headache. Been very disappointed with my .3006 ruger. Stick with the tikka!

What issues have you had? I won a Ruger American 30-06 recently. I was going to trade it on an Axis but heard good things about the Ruger American so I kept it.
    DT

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I also have a ruger american and really enjoy it. Not that im 100% sure i would choose it over a tikka but i dont think its a bad rifle at all. What issues are you having?

tornadochaser

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tornadochaser wrote:</div>
    Ruger Americans for $350

What issues are you having? My RA predator 6.5 cm has been shooting 5 shot groups measuring 0.6 to 0.7″ lately with Sig Elite 140 gr OTMs, and sub MOA 5 shot groups with 3 other factory rounds.

disco bobber

I ended up picking up a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 PRC right before Covid became a big deal. It shoots well with low recoil.

I did notice a couple of stores were out of Ammo for it when I went back a couple of months later. They must be selling a few. I picked up another box online so I have some for hunting. I will stay conservative on shooting it for now. More options for ammo appear to be coming.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.