best rifle ?

• Deke12

Im planning a mule deer hunt for next fall and am completely new to hunting with a “big” rifle. All I’ve ever used has been a shotgun and 22. I’m looking for some help picking which caliber or brand of rifle and scope. thanks

404 ERROR
    MN

You will get some incredibly different opinions on this one…

I prefer a Howa in .270 with a Vortex scope. VERY solid and accurate rifle, just on the heavy side. The .270 is a good all around caliber that shoots flat and has the power for just about anything you may want to hunt (cue the elephant comment…). Vortex scopes are solid and hold a lifetime warranty, which I’ve never had to use.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Grew up in ND and hunted muleys. Before magnumitis many a choice was .270 or 30-06 with .270 usually leading.

Scope – sorry, I’ve been out too many years to really know. Dad and I always did leupold but that was before companies like Vortex were on the scene. The rule still applies, the glass matters more than the rifle. Don’t go get a cheapy.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

You will get some incredibly different opinions on this one…

I prefer a Howa in .270 with a Vortex scope. VERY solid and accurate rifle, just on the heavy side. The .270 is a good all around caliber that shoots flat and has the power for just about anything you may want to hunt (cue the elephant comment…). Vortex scopes are solid and hold a lifetime warranty, which I’ve never had to use.

X2, you absolutely can’t go wrong with a Howa .270 and Vortex binos and scopes a very solid product.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Tika T3 lite is a great gun. Remington 700 is not to shabby at least when I bought it 10 years ago.

30-06 is a perfect all-around caliber but I love the .308’s and 6.5 is also a pretty good round. Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to use what others have in your party…if you have one.

I love my vortex scopes (diamondback HP or viper).

realtreeap10
    Over there

I think one question that we need to know before giving a recommendation is what Dollar amount you are looking to spend? Rifles can vary from $400 up to $4,000 plus so knowing you budget would help with ideas.

Deke12

I’m looking to spend $500 or less for everything

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That narrows it down a little.

In this price range, you have to realize that the main compromise will the be the scope. IMO, the choice of rifles remains the same, but if your budget can stretch an extra $100, a VASTLY improved scope could be had.

The Savage Axis 2 XP comes in a package with a Bushnell scope. The Axis 2 now has the adjustable AccuTrigger which corrects the chief fault of the original Axis. IMO the addition of the AccuTrigger makes this rifle hard to beat in terms of value for money.

I own 2 Axis rifles in varmint calibers and I’ve shot hundreds of rounds through each without a hiccup. Accuracy is stellar with no qualifications.

SRP is $484 for the rifle/scope combo, often found for less online or if you watch sales.

Next up is the Ruger American. Ruger offers this rifle in a combo with a Vortex Crossfire scope.

In my experience, this is also an excellent rifle for the price. Adjustable trigger and excellent performance out of the box. The SRP is $639, but the combo can usually be found for (just) under $500 online and again watch the sales.

However… My test of the Vortex Crossfire was an epic fail. I got 2 defective ones right out of the box and I never shot around with either scope mounted. I ended up moving on never tested the final replacement. If you go this route, be careful and if the scope reticle cannot be focused to your eye using the usual procedure, return it!

Thompson Center now has the Compass as their rifle at the entry level price point. I have not personally tested this rifle, but I have handled them at trade shows and the fit, finish, and refinement is better than both the Ruger and the Savage, but it comes at a slightly higher price point for the rifle.

Rifle only is $399, I see them in the low $300 range all the time online. This could be an excellent option as it would leave you about $150 for a scope of your choosing.

There are other options, but this really covers the 3 that I think are the best performance per dollar spent. All of these rifles will shoot at MOA +/- a small percentage with good factory ammo. That kind of accuracy was hard to obtain 30 years ago at 3 to 5 times the cost, much less in the entry-level space.

Now which cartridge? Take your pick and don’t overthink it. You are not hunting African game, you aren’t going to be facing a charging grizzly in the willows, and there are probably 50 suitable cartridges that will all make a mule deer dead.

You can’t go wrong with the .270, 30-06, 308, 7-08, or if you want to jump on the 6.5 MM bandwagon, the 6.6 Creedmoor. All of these are good choices, all have excellent factory ammo options.

Finally, PRACTICE. Benchrest shooting is NOT practice. Real practice is from realistic field positions including prone, sitting, on shooting sticks, and standing.

Grouse

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I prefer either a .270 WSM or a .300 WSM. Ammo is pricey but they have a nice flat trajectory and major knockdown power.

Deke12

Thanks for all the help

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

My personal choice would be the TC compass,and the Vortex diamondback,A plus with the compass is it is threaded for a can,if that is something that might intrest you down the road,and TC’s rep for quality products.Vortex diamondback,I believe to be the best bang for the buck,most my scopes are Leupold.but the diamondback is as clear as my VXII’s at a 1/3 less in price,with good warranty.
    Caliber would depend on How big of game,if wanting to hunt anything bigger than muleys,300 win mag,good ballistics,great energy,and can be found on most ammo shelves.The downside too much recoil for some.
    Now anything up to Muleys,definetley the 6,5 creedmore,the ballistics are great,very little recoil,short action so will be a lighter gun to be toting around outwest.Downside it is becoming very popular caliber but probly wont find ammo in alot of places,quite yet.
    The rifle,scope,rings and bases should come in around 500$ if you shop around a little.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Any chance you would eventually find yourself hunting elk/moose and need something a little bigger? I’m in a very similar spot myself and have been doing some research. From what I understand you really cant go wrong with a .30-06. I found this article very helpful, as I’m a hunter who has never used anything other than a .22 and a shotgun either.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/ask-meateater/ask-meateater-what-are-the-best-big-game-rifle-calibers

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I’d probably have to be hunting elk / moose every year if I went with the 30-06.
    I think a 7mm-08,6.5 creedmor, .308 would be in the sweet spot.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I would recommend going to the gunshops in the area and seeing what they have for used rifles as well.
    Just up the road you have one in Eyota, Winona, Coyote Creek and there are several in Rochester that are very close to you as well. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Aaron Kalberer

I have a savage axis in 300 wsm that came with a Refield scope. Bought it to eventually do some outwest hunting and replaced my 243. The Axis as Grouse stated is a solid gun, and the Redfield is an alright scope, I did however have issues with eye relief and replaced it with a Vortex Diamond Back. The 300 wsm hasn’t let me down, but any of the calibers mentioned would be good ones to go with. I would opt for a 270 or 30-06 just for ease of getting ammo, unless that’s not a big deal to you. And as stated if you do not hunt white tail with rifles, I would be making sure this one is of adequate caliber for future dream hunts you may find yourself on.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My do all big game gun, aside from my Marlin Guide gun in 45/70 and my Sako Finnbear in 338WM is my Tikka T3 in 270WSM. Paired it with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 and it shoots 140 grain accubonds really well. Have a hard time not thinking that would be a great caliber for anything from mule deer to elk. Best of luck!

Steve

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would be making sure this one is of adequate caliber for future dream hunts you may find yourself on.

This idea of SuperSizing a deer rifle to try to make it adequate for potential future larger species “dream hunts” comes up a lot.

To be honest, I just think it’s the wrong thing to do and here’s why.

1. A .30-06 or 270 is STILL more than an adequate cartridge for moose, elk, and several other species that are often thrown out as “justification” for caving in to Magnumitius.

Go to shows and ask any guide, outfitter, or African PH. Overwhelmingly, they would rather have a client that shoots a standard cartridge well over magnum-toting flincher that shoots a big cartridge, but poorly.

2. The prices of these dream hunts, and even more modest hunts, has risen rapidly. Acquiring any rifle that might be needed for that hunt is now almost literally a small add-on to the overall cost of many hunts. Bottom line is even if you REALLY need a different rifle, if you can afford these hunts at today’s prices, you can probably afford a rifle for this dream hunt as well.

But also, see point #1 above. Rarely is this necessary or even desirable. More often the trip is just a good excuse…

3. I’ve shot a few deer. I’ve never had one that was well-hit with a .30-06 that would have been any deader had I shot it with anything with “magnum” in the name. Our forefathers easily killed game with VASTLY less firepower than even “common” cartridges like the .270 and .30-06 have. It is both entertaining and informative to read old hunting magazines and books from the early 1900s to see what worked back then and then ask yourself is more firepower really the answer?

4. Recoil sensitivity is like one of those problems that the commercials urge you to ask your doctor about. They always happen to the other guy until they happen to you. Recoil sensitivity is also, like Craig Boddington so excellently put it, like bad breath–very difficult to self-diagnose.

Simply put, in these days when most hunters simply don’t shoot ANYTHING very much, I’m seeing more poor groups that I strongly suspect are the result of flinching.

Bottom line is I think the soundest strategy for the beginner is to buy the rifle for the hunting you do NOW. Learn to shoot it well and worry about other neeeds when they actually materialize.

Grouse

Buffalo Fishhead

The Grouse summed it up very well. Take his advice – you will not regret doing so!

Buffalo Fishhead

Aaron Kalberer

I agree with you grouse, I should have been more clear but what I was stating was if he was in a shotgun deer zone and wasn’t planning on hunting white tail with a rifle that could potentially change his choice on caliber. A 270 is a great all around gun and will bring just about anything down, I like my 300 wsm and bought it to specifically hunt larger game with, and run my 223 in the white tail woods now.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a 30-06 and a 270. If you shoot the Hornady American Whitetail rounds out of those two guns, you’ll be amazed by the exit holes. Every deer I shoot with them looks like somebody threw a tennis ball through the deer.

It’s nuts coming from a 130 grain 270 round, almost overkill to be honest.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I would opt for a 270 or 30-06 just for ease of getting ammo, unless that’s not a big deal to you

1987 I’m dead set on a Rem 700 in .280 remington which was rather exotic at the time. Dad says, “if you’re ever in Amidon, ND and need ammo what do you think the gas station will have?” One month later I had a .270

Ammo availability is not a big deal until the day it is doah Muleys don’t tend to live next to well stocked big sporting goods stores.

Simply put, in these days when most hunters simply don’t shoot ANYTHING very much, I’m seeing more poor groups that I strongly suspect are the result of flinching.

Jumped to a .270 too young and too soon. Fast forward to the range last saturday and I’m still fighting the dreaded flinch. Little brother got a .243 and wished I did the same. Watched him take some nice muleys too. Wouldn’t be my first pick for a caliber but it would have been a better choice for me at that time in my life.

catmando
    wis

A 3006 , will any thing a 270 can do,and you have more choices of lead.and you can pick up ammo anywhere. A good bolt action 06 with some good glass . DK

ozzyky
    On water

I have a 30-06 and a 270. If you shoot the Hornady American Whitetail rounds out of those two guns, you’ll be amazed by the exit holes. Every deer I shoot with them looks like somebody threw a tennis ball through the deer.

Funny you mention these. I’m 4/4 with them 2 with a 30-06 and 2 with a 7mm. Tons of damage but I haven’t had a blood trail hardly at all.

ajw

.270 is what you get when you neck down all the suck out of a 30-06. Much like the 7mm-08 is what you get when you neck down all the suck out of a .308

tornadochaser

Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM is a sub MOA gun basically out of the box. After sighting in, my first 5 shot group with hornady 143gr ELDX was 4 bullets in one ragged hole with a flier .3″ off that hole from jerking the trigger. $375 for the gun, $70 for rings, $350 for scope, and you’ve got a 800 yard capable gun for less than $800.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Your budget is likely less than the tag… I would strongly suggest looking used if that is your budget.

You will need a decent scope. Most of my mule deer have been shot at 300+ yards.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I would opt for a 270 or 30-06 just for ease of getting ammo

After spending the requisite time stewing over balistics, bolt draw length, etc, this is where I landed both in terms of accessibility and cost. I had a short mag on hold but $40 boxes of ammo eventually turned me off to it. You can find a $15 box of 270 or 06 ammo at any redneck gas station.

My T3 30.06 puts federal 150gr into deer each year just fine. Inherited a sako 270 if I ever need that.

kidfish

If you’re looking to find a bargain in the scope department, I have seen a few Nikon scopes advertised the last couple weeks for around $100. They’re probably not quite as good as the Leupold or Vortex but they do make a decent scope. Mounts will cost you $50 or more.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The problem with going the used route is you have to be pretty knowledgeable to know which rifles from 20 years ago or more will even have a chance to be as accurate as the new base model Ruger, Savage, T/C, etc will be right out of the box. You also really have to know how to evaluate what you’re looking at to know if it’s even worth considering.

MOA accuracy was NOT a given back in the good old days. There are plenty of rifles out there that were considered “good” rifles back in the day and they will shot no better than minute of tennis ball at 100 yards no matter what tricks you try. That was considered “accurate” back in the day.

Also, I call the used rack in most gun shops “Fantasy Island”. The money many of these guys want for a crappy old 700 with rust spots is insane.

Grouse

grpubl7
    Central WI

For that price range, one of the 270 Winchester rifles from Savage. Cannot tell you how many have come through our sight-in and they all have shot well enough to croak a Mulie at 300yds if the operator did not have a malfunction.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.