Best fishing destination

• Ryan Hughes

I was wondering what your opinion is of the best fishing destination. It can be any species anywhere in the world. Just looking at some options for my next trip. Feel free to post up what species and where. Here is what I have so far:

Costa Rica for roosterfish
    San Salvador for wahoo
    Panama for peacock bass

What do you guys think is the best destination and for what kind of fish?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Northern Manitoba for MONSTER PIKE and Awesome Walleye action !

(I leave a month from today)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Great slave or great bear lake trout.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Well I have had some amazing trips in the past few years.

Caught Giant Rooster Fish in Cabo. 80 pounds one of the biggest they ever saw and one of the coolest fish I have ever seen.

I also just got back from Tarpon fish in Boca Grande FL. In 1 night we caught 11! Here is the biggest 185 pounds.

My next major fishing trip will be again for giant Tarpon. That was a thrill of a life time. They jump 5 feet out of the water and fight like hell.

I may look to do Costa Rica next time for these guys.

Attachments:
    1. 10897920_10205972486059642_1223374730998633049_n.jpg

2. photo_1-2.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I also just got back from Tarpon fish in Boca Grande FL. In 1 night we caught 11! Here is the biggest 185 pounds.

Oh my gosh! I’ve caught some smaller tarpon in Puerto Rico, and they’re so much fun. I can’t imagine how fun a beast like that would be!!!

404 ERROR
    MN

Caught Giant Rooster Fish in Cabo. 80 pounds one of the biggest they ever saw and one of the coolest fish I have ever seen.

That’s a big girl, nice catch! The wife and I are heading to Punta Cana Dominican Republic next week and will be White Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna Fishing. Caught a Tuna before, but never a Marlin!

Ryan Hughes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eauclaireboys wrote:</div>

That’s a big girl, nice catch! The wife and I are heading to Punta Cana Dominican Republic next week and will be White Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna Fishing. Caught a Tuna before, but never a Marlin!

Marlin are fun I have never caught a white but I have caught stripped and blues in Mexico. But you can’t beat tuna for table fair!

Well I have had some amazing trips in the past few years.

My next major fishing trip will be again for giant Tarpon. That was a thrill of a life time. They jump 5 feet out of the water and fight like hell.

I may look to do Costa Rica next time for these guys.

That is a nice rooster for Cabo! All of the ones I caught there were 20-30 pounds is all. The tarpon is on the list to. I was looking at costa rica and doing kind of a east coast west coast thing. the east for tarpon and snook and then the west for roosters, sails, marlin, tuna, snapper, ect

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eauclaireboys wrote:</div>

Punta Cana is amazing, we just went in January. Make sure you bring some Dramamine, and something to do because you will likely be trolling all day. When you hook up though, it is pandemonium!

Czech Mate

Remote parts of the inside passage in alaska on Wild Alaska Sportfishing and Cruises. 85′ yacht mothership, 4 decks, private stateroom, gourmet chef. Caught 27 different species of fish including a 20 lb Coho, 50 lb Ling cod, 110 lb Halibut. Even caught a halibut and ling cod on a Fly Rod!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0826.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

We used to go out of Panama City, FL every year for a Snapper and Grouper trip, it was a blast. If you get into a good school it’s almost like catching 5″ panfish, you can’t get your bait down fast enough and the action never stops.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dolphin, Bonefish and Tarpon in Islamorada. Pick your poison.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Peacock Bass in Brazill – That one is on my bucket list for sure. Canadian fishing trip for moster pike. I’m leaving in 3 weeks to cross that one off my bucket list. Last year the guy I’m going with caught 40-50 fish over 40″. Their biggest was almost 49″. They are looking to catch a 50″ fish this year. What a rush. I can’t wait for the trip

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Northern Manitoba for MONSTER PIKE and Awesome Walleye action !

(I leave a month from today)

Big G – What part of Manitoba are you heading?

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

Where do you guys go in Manitoba. We go the Leaf Rapids area. Been there about 25 times if that says anything! Casting for big pike.

31lifer

Lake Minnitaki in the Sioux Lookout, Ontario area. Heading there on June 10th and this will be my 26th trip and the walleye, northern, laker and muskie action is awesome!!!!!

walleye216

Mississippi River pools 4 to 8 for crappies, perch, gills, and walleye. The driftless region for brown and brook trout is also great.

Somewhere I haven’t been but would like to try is wolliston lake for giant lakers and pike.

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Wish list locations.
    Cabo San Lucas for marlin would be high on the list
    Alaska for salmon and halibut
    Florida Keys for multiple species
    East coast for blue fin tuna
    Some fly in Canadian lakes for monster pike and lake trout
    A good crappie lake

big_g
    Isle, MN

I go thru Leaf Rapids on my way to Lynn Lake, MB grin

Ryan Hughes

Wish list locations.
    Cabo San Lucas for marlin would be high on the list

Did that last summer and it was a blast

Alaska for salmon and halibut

Did that a few years ago and had a good time although Mexico was better I think.

Florida Keys for multiple species

That is on my list too but the cost down there is hight for what you get vs central america destinations

East coast for blue fin tuna

I looked into this and it doesn’t look like there is much else to do in this area other than fish (My wife’s requirements not mine)

Some fly in Canadian lakes for monster <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike and lake trout

I catch big lakers regularly on my home waters so it would be hard to travel for them pike on the other hand would be fun

A good crappie lake

Crappie aren’t high on my list either just due to the lack of thrill in them. They do taste great though

[/quote]

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

We drove up to Lynn Lake once just to see what was there. We have lots of fun casting for big pike. The Churchill River The locals are all walleye fishermen. A great area to fish. I’m leaving June 6. We’ll be up there 12 days. Can’t wait!!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Remote parts of the inside passage in alaska on Wild Alaska Sportfishing and Cruises. 85′ yacht mothership, 4 decks, private stateroom, gourmet chef. Caught 27 different species of fish including a 20 lb Coho, 50 lb Ling cod, 110 lb Halibut. Even caught a halibut and ling cod on a Fly Rod!

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.23529411764706%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/I1OcFnCHKTs?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid491017″></iframe></div></div>

Just out of curiosity, what’s the price point for something like this? I couldn’t find any information on their site. A range is fine, like 5-7k or 10k?

I would love to do this.

MnPat1

I like Costa Rica for variety of fishing and its best fishing is during our winter. You can expect double digit sailfish days along with good rooster fish and cubera inshore popping.
    But the icing on the cake is the tarpon fishing on the east coast. They willing eat lures or flies. Make sure and bring your own quality spinning gear. Beautiful country and under 4 hour drive coast to coast.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Buy American! Florida, made in the USA.

Someone has to pay for our roads. coffee

Ryan Hughes

Buy American! Florida, made in the USA.

Someone has to pay for our roads. coffee

I would love to come down to Florida but you truly do “pay” for it compared to some central america trips.

Czech Mate

It’s right around $600-$700 per day, depending on when you go. All trips are a week long, and covers everything including raingear and boots. I think it cost around $750 to fly into Juneau and out of Petersburg. So all up I’d budget around $5K.

BTW- worth every penny! 2 of us brought home 177lbs of fish as “checked luggage”.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s right around $600-$700 per day, depending on when you go. All trips are a week long, and covers everything including raingear and boots. I think it cost around $750 to fly into Juneau and out of Petersburg. So all up I’d budget around $5K.

BTW- worth every penny! 2 of us brought home 177lbs of fish as “checked luggage”.

Wow, that’s not nearly as expensive as I’d imagined. Most of the one day charter trips are $3-500 / day just for the fishing. Throw in lodging + food and you’re looking at more like $5-700 / day.

My wife and I went to Alaska for our honeymoon and only did two days of fishing, but I think we spent close to $10k for the whole trip. We ‘only’ brought home like 50 pounds of fish though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.