Best buck to date

• Jeff Schomaker

Killed my best buck to date last night right at last light. Wasn’t 100% sure how big he was when I shot. Just saw he had a big frame and big body. Not until recovery did I realize what I had shot. Pics don’t do him justice. Taxidermist estimated him in the mid 160’s pushing 170 non-typical. Just a great way to cap off a beautiful night in the tree.

Attachments:
    1. image-31.jpeg

2. image-30.jpeg

big_g
    Isle, MN

nice 1 !!! smash waytogo yay peace

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Sweet! That’s a nice buck! Congrats. yay

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Way to go. That’s a big, big boy.

Post the whole story when you have a chance. Love to hear the details, how’d he come in, how far was the shot, dish all the dirt when you have the chance.

Grouse

Jeff Schomaker

Way to go. That’s a big, big boy.

Post the whole story when you have a chance. Love to hear the details, how’d he come in, how far was the shot, dish all the dirt when you have the chance.

Grouse

I had two does come from behind me and follow a trail 20 yards just inside the standing corn to my left about 5 o’clock and they were the first and only deer I saw before he came. It was starting to get pretty dark so I was slowly putting stuff in the pack then I heard what sounded like a deer pawing the ground behind me but it’s a wicker basket of trees so can’t see anything. After a few seconds I see a glimps of a deer heading down the edge of the fence row but again so thick I couldn’t see any details. Then he decided to make another scrape about 40 yards behind me. Talk about a racket! I thought he was gonna pull the whole tree down! Idk if he got his antlers tangled up or what but after he finished (which took plenty of time) I could hear him grunting and snort wheezing but still couldn’t see him. Just glimpses of movement here and there. Finally I saw he was a mature big bodied deer so I clipped onto the release just incase he was gonna be a shooter. I didn’t get my first real good look until he was a 20 yards tiptoeing through the brush. Finally when I decided I was gonna take him I drew when he was behind a big tree. But it was so still he must have heard me draw because he came to a halt. But after a few seconds he slowly came out from behind the tree and I stopped him and sent the arrow on its way. Two lungs and about 80 yards later he piled up in the corn field. Everyone has asked if i was nervous and I just tell them when ya don’t know exactly what you shot and it happens that fast it’s hard to get nervous. But it was a heck of a hunt and one I’ll always remember.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.