Best Braid for Lake Winnipeg

• kylerk
    Willmar, MN

Need some advice on Braided line for some HD rods for an upcoming trip to Lake Winnipeg. I was thinking 20lb Sufix 832 ice in Hi-Vis Orange to a Floro leader. Any other advice would be appreciated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Personally, I avoided braid when I went up there. Shallow water I like to use mono or floro. There’s just no need for 0 stretch line.

I kinda believe that braid would hurt. I think you’ll want stretch to absorb the head shakes. The last thing you want is to lose rod bend without barbs on your hooks.

I went with 10-12# mono and floro. I simply added 20-30′ over the braid that was already on my reels. If you don’t like it, just strip it off and use your braid.

Not one issue. Plus you get the benefit of less ice up than braid.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I did fine last year with 10lb 832 Ice braid tied direct to a snap. No break offs and only one fish got off the hook in 4 days.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t think it makes a huge difference either way regarding line stretch, but I’d choose a monofilament over braid for the ice up reason alone. Throw in abrasion resistance as another benefit to mono. Those conditions up thee can be tough on your gear.

When I went, I used lake trout gear almost exclusively. I felt the medium to med-hvy rods were too light to handle the larger lures. So regarding line, I really liked 10-12# line to match.

kylerk
    Willmar, MN

Thanks for all the help. Appreciate the input.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.