Beating a dead horse on Marcums firmware 4.07

• Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I can’t believe I am writing about the newest firmware in which I should have not updated. I have the LX-7 and put on the 4.07 firmware update. At first I had no problems with the first three times out fishing with that update. Today is a different story, the unit wants to temporarily freeze up and then work. This even happens on simulator mode. The sensitivity seems to go from one extreme to the next. I changed the mode to open water, I changed the cone angle, I changed the target adjust even. Why did I ever change the firmware. Very frustrating! Even the transducer seemed to get louder just as of lately. What to do, wish I had the old firmware to download. I have noticed this problem only in dynamic mode. I’m done with this for now.

Steve Strain
    Thor, Iowa

Email marcum and tell them your problems. I did last year and they sent me the old version. So I have it on my computer should I ever need to switch any of my 3 LX7’s. I’ve had very good luck with emailing them and usually get back to me the next day if I send the email at night.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Seems odd the the update worked for 3 outings and then suddenly didn’t work. I’d verify potential battery/power issue first. If it was in fact the update causing the problem it should have happened immediately.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I agree that it seems odd after three outings. I did not try on the any other range only on dynamic. The simulator seems to actually run better on the other three ranges. Only in dynamic does the unit seem to freeze up every few seconds.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I agree with the possibility of a bad battery, did you happen to see what your volt indicator was at when this was happening? If you or a buddy has an extra 12 volt laying around put that on and see if it’s still having issues

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I hope it’s not the battery because I bought the Ice Force lithium. The battery voltage indicator shows the same voltage as the original battery. I’m going to conduct an experiment on the ice today and see if this happens in dynamic mode only. Will get back to this tonight.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

My 6 did not like dynamic much either…I just use the manual setting now…

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Your info makes me feel like I’m not totally insane mudshark, thank you.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I will second what mudshark said as well. The auto dynamic doesn’t seem to stay locked in the bottom all the time but using the manual dynamic works fine

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

went out fishing this afternoon to try the sonar out again. I had failed to mention that the night before I charged the lithium battery overnight knowing that it has overcharge protection. Anyways, the LX-7 worked just fine. A little lag picking up bottom right away, but worked good. My theory is that the unit works better after running it for about a couple of hours after full charge. Maybe too much of a charge at first start up.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

went out fishing this afternoon to try the sonar out again. I had failed to mention that the night before I charged the lithium battery overnight knowing that it has overcharge protection. Anyways, the LX-7 worked just fine. A little lag picking up bottom right away, but worked good. My theory is that the unit works better after running it for about a couple of hours after full charge. Maybe too much of a charge at first start up.

That does not seem right to me. I am sure there is a voltage regulator in the unit. You should not have to run a unit for 2 hrs. to make it work right. It should work right all the time.

Rusty Sasquatch
    NULL

I have had similar issues after the update. I have reloaded the softeware 3 times and finally sent the unit into Versa. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get it back in time for a trip I have planned.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

My LX6 doesn’t like dynamic mode much either. I am still running 3.17 on mine. I like how the unit works overall and that is why I haven’t updated it. I do have that version on my computer at home. If someone wants it send me a message with an email and I can send you the files that I originally used to update to 3.17. I am sure Marcum would send you them as well.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Ray
    Sorry to hear your having issues. If it helps I have saved the .bin files from previous updates. I could provide that to you if you think it would help. I have had my LX7 3 years now and used 4.07 right after it came out. The only minor complaint I have is that the sensitivity adjustment is a little too course for my tastes. I guess others have noticed this too.

The other minor issue is battery cables come loose sometimes when hole hopping. The handle and wires get in the way sometimes. I’m sure I can work around it if I put my mind to it. It just has not been a big enough deal for me to do anything about it yet.

I think the battery chargers that are provided are not the strongest (but the other manufacturers are not very good either. ( I have had vex and humminbird chargers) I presently use Batter Tender JR its much better charger.

I am really impressed the way the LX7 presents information to the user. FYI I also own a LX5, Showdown 5.6 dual beam, and Showdown Ice Troller 2, and Hummingbird 788ci that I converted to use ice fishing on occasion. I actually use it more for GPS than sonar when ice fishing.

But if it came to being only to have one sonar for ice fishing I would take the LX7/9 and not look back.

I’m confident that Marcum will get you taken care of if you give them the opportunity to do so. I have never had a problem with any of their units. I did have my ice troller upgraded to version 2 and the turn time was very quick and it has performed great. Sometimes when I travel lite to a shallow lake it is all I bring.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I thank you guys for your info, one quwstion though, does the version 3.17 have the six color palette like the 4.07 version? Bob, why haven’t you swtched back to the 3.17 version. I too don’t like the sensitivity issue being too sensitive between #’s.

Kent Tau

I thank you guys for your info, one quwstion though, does the version 3.17 have the six color palette like the 4.07 version? Bob, why haven’t you swtched back to the 3.17 version. I too don’t like the sensitivity issue being too sensitive between #’s.

Thought the six colors was always there since day one.

Rusty Sasquatch
    NULL

I had a bad transducer which was covered by the 2 year warranty. I thought the 6 color pallet was new to the latest update on another note.

Kent Tau

Still running 3.01 and it reads R.O.Y.LG.G.B unless I’m missing something, it looks like 6 to me.

Rusty Sasquatch
    NULL

Ok, I thought they mentioned in their promotional video for the 4.07 update that it added those colors. Please disregard my previous post.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Version 3.17 has 6 color palette. My sensitivity needs to be turned up quite a bit for my liking on certain bodies of water.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Ok, I thought they mentioned in their promotional video for the 4.07 update that it added those colors. Please disregard my previous post.

6 color palette was there since or near the beginning of the digital, but previously the 3 color palette was default. I think the referenced change was that with the 4.07 (or possibly 3.17) update 6 color became the default.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Thanks Will, what firmware do you use? I was out again and found that the dynamic mode still wants to freeze up every few seconds but not the other modes. I am still waiting to download the old firmware that I have on file because in week I’ll be heading to S.D. in just over a week from now and would rather deal with it after that trip.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Will, what firmware do you use? I was out again and found that the dynamic mode still wants to freeze up every few seconds but not the other modes. I am still waiting to download the old firmware that I have on file because in week I’ll be heading to S.D. in just over a week from now and would rather deal with it after that trip.

Rather than worrying about it….If the other modes work fine,I would just suggest just not using the Dynamic mode…

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Well, I think that dynamic mode over 10′ is a great mode. Easy to use, no adjusting of depth needed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.