How big do you think this guy is???

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We started a new bait over the 4th of July. We’re using old bakery goods. So far, we got 1 picture of the bear we think is hitting our bait. I haven’t ever bear hunted but have seen quite a few bear recently. This one seems to be bigger than most of the others we’ve seen. I realize it is difficult to guess the size of him without having something of known size to compare too. Since we aren’t talking about a world record muskie, take your best guess. I would guess by the time I finally get a kill tag, this dude will have a few more rolls in/on him.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Feet look small and no hanging belly. 200# max

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Feet look small and no hanging belly. 200# max

col._klink
    St Paul

I would agree with SGT Rock 165# to 200#

Nice Bear if it has no cubs!!

col._klink
    St Paul

I would agree with SGT Rock 165# to 200#

Nice Bear if it has no cubs!!

shayla

Big enough to grill…..Mmmmmmmm!

shayla

Big enough to grill…..Mmmmmmmm!

col._klink
    St Paul

Looks like a clean kill shot!

col._klink
    St Paul

Looks like a clean kill shot!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You might wanna throw a six foot log down by the bait. That way you can measure his size against the log.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You might wanna throw a six foot log down by the bait. That way you can measure his size against the log.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I was thinking he was bigger than you guys are guessing, but what the heck do I know. This picture was actually taken about 150 yards from our bait on a bow stand. I hope to have some more pictures after this weekend. The bait is covered with 8 X 16 inch cement blocks, so hopefully that will give an idea of the size also. Great suggestion putting a 6 foot log next to the bait. We will do that this weekend also. Regardless of his size, it is pretty cool looking forward to checking the pictures on the weekend. Hope to have more to post early next week.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I was thinking he was bigger than you guys are guessing, but what the heck do I know. This picture was actually taken about 150 yards from our bait on a bow stand. I hope to have some more pictures after this weekend. The bait is covered with 8 X 16 inch cement blocks, so hopefully that will give an idea of the size also. Great suggestion putting a 6 foot log next to the bait. We will do that this weekend also. Regardless of his size, it is pretty cool looking forward to checking the pictures on the weekend. Hope to have more to post early next week.

col._klink
    St Paul

Have you checked if that Bear left any palm prints. You can gauge pretty good by a plam print. I think if it is bigger than you hand he/she is around 250# to 300#. I think some other guys might gauge them that way also.

col._klink
    St Paul

Have you checked if that Bear left any palm prints. You can gauge pretty good by a plam print. I think if it is bigger than you hand he/she is around 250# to 300#. I think some other guys might gauge them that way also.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

i think it goes 4 inch paw its a 150-200

5 inch paw 200-250
    6+ 300+

i might be off a few degrees but u get the picture

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

i think it goes 4 inch paw its a 150-200

5 inch paw 200-250
    6+ 300+

i might be off a few degrees but u get the picture

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Well I am going to throw out my guess at over 300. It’s hard to tell the size of it’s head or size of it’s ears in relationship to the head. Doesn’t look overly long, but I think it’s fairly heavy. It’s feet do look small so it could be a big sow. I sent the pic to a couple buddies for their opinion. Just some info on front pad size in relation to weight. My group has harvested at least a half dozen males that had 4 1/2 to 6 inch pads that all dressed under 200. They all had large feet and large heads, but were still not mature. Ages came back from the Wis DNR at 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years. Females sometimes have very small feet. Last year we tagged a 200 dressed sow with a 2 1/2 inch pad. I figured the bear was a yearling about 75-80 lbs. live when we saw the track on the sand. Pads size can be very deceiving.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Well I am going to throw out my guess at over 300. It’s hard to tell the size of it’s head or size of it’s ears in relationship to the head. Doesn’t look overly long, but I think it’s fairly heavy. It’s feet do look small so it could be a big sow. I sent the pic to a couple buddies for their opinion. Just some info on front pad size in relation to weight. My group has harvested at least a half dozen males that had 4 1/2 to 6 inch pads that all dressed under 200. They all had large feet and large heads, but were still not mature. Ages came back from the Wis DNR at 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years. Females sometimes have very small feet. Last year we tagged a 200 dressed sow with a 2 1/2 inch pad. I figured the bear was a yearling about 75-80 lbs. live when we saw the track on the sand. Pads size can be very deceiving.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I was under the impression that the bigger the bear the smaller the ears look in relation to the head.

Is this true?

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I was under the impression that the bigger the bear the smaller the ears look in relation to the head.

Is this true?

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

yes a bear that has small looking ears and legs is a big bear, the long ears and long legs are a small bear

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

yes a bear that has small looking ears and legs is a big bear, the long ears and long legs are a small bear

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.