Lake Onalaska???

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I’m a newbie to the Lake Onalaska area, just moved to galesville and am looking for a little help catching a bass or two. The questions I have is can I run around with out the worry of hitting anything major? I know the first few times I will be ideling around keeping an eye on the depth finder. The other question is what/where should I start looking for a large mouth. Any help would be greatly apprecated.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If you stay on the east side you should do fine. Most of the west side is weeded up pretty good.

As for finding fish, start on a weed edge and follow it, keeping a close eye on your electronics.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I say this having lived on Lake Onalaska for 21 years, but you can basically run anywhere you want. The major concerns are out towards the drains (north of Red Oak).

Where to look? find a weed stretch and go to town.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Just a heads up….The DNR has been waiting at Schaffers landing to hand out tickets for any weeds not removed from your rigs.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I say this having lived on Lake Onalaska for 21 years, but you can basically run anywhere you want.

Run where you want eh…? Sure, if you don’t mind plugging an intake or cutting weeds off your prop every 50yds.

Sure, there are places to run to, but that’s painting with an awfully big brush.

And that comes from over 25yrs experience on the lake.

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I guess what I will be doing for the first few trips will be in idol and watching the graph.

kinny

In the main lake from Schaffers to the man made islands and all the way south to the rock wall I dont know of any problems in there (I consider problems to be stumps, rocks and very shallow water, not weeds). If anyone knows of any please let us all know!
    What or where are the problems by Red Oak? I’ve run the area east and south of there with out any problems several times. My Navionics chip says there’s a stump field to the west but I idled through there close to the island once and didnt see anything. I’ve seen guys motor right through that whole area.

Thanks.

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Well thanks for all the help. The only questions I have is where is Schaffers and Red Oak? (remember new to area so dont know all the names for everything out there)

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

To get to Schaffers take 35 North out of Onalaska.
    Hang a Left on CTH Z
    Hang a Left on N Shore Ln
    Hang a left to the landing.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Red Oak is the Island to the West of the air port.

Hope this help

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Read above….the landing is just north of Rose Bud Island

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Is that what you were looking for?

I’ll be around either Saturday or Monday. If you see me make sure to say hi. I’ll be the one tippin’ Old Style’s

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Yes thank you guys so much. If you see a guy running around in the mornings in a ranger and looks lost its probably me haha.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Yes thank you guys so much. If you see a guy running around in the mornings in a ranger and looks lost its probably me haha.

Well….if you see a sad looking guy standing on the shoreline looking for a boat ride, that’d be Slop Bass….

Be sure to wave as you drive by.

Oh he’s going to love that one….

Signed,
    The hater…..

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Quote:

Well….if you see a sad looking guy standing on the shoreline looking for a boat ride, that’d be Slop Bass….

Shaver, You can always borrow my 14′ flat bottom with the 9.5 hp. You should be able to keep up with Bret’s “troller”

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Shaver, You can always borrow my 14′ flat bottom with the 9.5 hp. You should be able to keep up with Bret’s “troller”

I’ll run circles around your 9.5 you knob

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Quote:

I’ll run circles around your 9.5 you knob

Jump in my boat and I can show you proper boat control… That should help keep you from running in circles

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

There is a line of nasty stumps west of red oak.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.