pool 13 3/22

• tennispro
    Sterling, IL

I got out yesterday from 10-5 with a buddy from work. We fished the lower end of pool 13 and after a ruff start we got on some nice fish.

I got two short fish first flipping a chigger craw. Then we found a nice area that was holding fish. From 1 untill we left we boated 7 keepers and 4 more shorts. The biggest 6 keepers would have gone over 16 pounds.

The last 11 fish all came on spinnerbaits with big blades. The dark colors outproduced the bright colors. We were the only boats that were fishing after 2:30 or so. It was great getting nice fish when the water temps were between 49-58. That and everyone else gave up to early.

Jeremy

SproBoy

hey man what kind of areas are these if u dont mind me asking…im north of you a few pools so whats working down there will be similar in a few weeks up here..

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

I have to say, after reading your report, that I think alot of people give up too early on the river this time of year. When that sun really starts beating on the water in the early afternoon the fish just seem to get alot more active. I quite often wait to go out early spring until the air temp has risen a bit and the sun’s beating down (weather cooperating of course). Nice report. Great to know since I’ll be hittin the river soon as well.

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

We were fishing in a backwater area that had some weed growth allready. The water temps when we started were 49. When we were getting into fish the water temps were 54. We found warmer water but we could not get fish in those spots.

The fish were being caught fishing the weeds in about 2 foot of water. But the water droped off to 4.5 foot with in 10 yards. In the areas with warm water it was 2 foot deep but there was no drop off with in 100 yards.

We tried floating rattle traps, swimjigs, crankbaits, jigs and we never got a hit. We would fish the same area again with the spinnerbaits and right away would hook up again.

Jeremy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.