Cicada

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I don’t know if any of you are noticing them but if you are quiet when the fish are munching them they actual sound like someone eating popcorn.. Crunch crunch…
    jc

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I wondered if they would make good fish bait. As much hype as we have gotten about the cicadias this spring I honestly haven’t noticed any in my neighborhood. I live in DBQ which is in the “area” they said would be overrun by cicadias and I have not seen any more than in any other year. I find their shed skins on my garage just about evey year but not this year and I haven’t heard any of the obnoxious buzzing from any of the neighborhood trees. I think it was 2 summers ago that they seemed to concentrate in a large walnut and red oak tree in my backyard. Some days it was so noisy that I had to drown out their noise with the lawnmower.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We had a fair amount of hype in the La Crosse area. Honestly, I noticed a lot more last year. I know I picked close to a dozen out of the yard. None this year.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

My guess is that they aren’t quite out up your way. There were none prior to heading up to your place blue but when I hit about hwy 20 they started. Once I hit Palo they were like mayflies. They sound loke golf balls hitting my windshield.
    jc

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I haven’t seen or heard much at all in Jo Daviess County, in NW IL yet. However, last week I was in Chicago, and they were absolutely everywhere. I was near Higgins/Cumberland. There’s a bunch of old growth trees in that area.

robby
    Quad Cities

I have been looking forward to hearing them sing, but have not heard them. I live in an old growth area with lots of timber and a couple forest preserves nearby. None here to speak of, the newspaper had a couple articles stating they are late this year????? Who knows?

zombywuff
    Illinois

You’re right, Jeff. They’re like a “swarm of locusts” around here! All I’ve gotten on an Arbogast Cicada in a river is a small largemouth. I’ve heard the carp are really slurping up the live ones.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

heard them today while fishing…annoying little buggers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.