Small River Smallies

• Keith
    NE Iowa

This is a question for you small river fisherman. Twice last week, I floated short sections of water on a small river near my hometown. Both days I boated over 20 smallmouth in a short period of time, but only one was over 14″. I caught a few on cranks and a few on jigs, but the perferred presentation seemed to be a vibrax or mepps spinner in rapids, or rocky and fast moving water. I was just wondering what presentations or river loacations might yield bigger fish. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining about catching smaller fish, it’s just that I know that this part of the river holds bigger fishin; atleast it has in the past. Any suggestions and info would be appriceated.

Thanks

Keith

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

My main presentation for smallies is top water lures on wingdams and riprap shorelines. I just get an extra thrill the way they smash the poppers and prop baits as against hooking them with an underwater lure. My biggest smallie thougfh, came when I was trolling for walleyes over a sand flat with a crankbait. 21+ inches, but I still prefer the top water bite.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Sounds to me like you’re doing everything right. I’ve had days where the biggest smallie I could tie into was 12″, and days where I was trying to bluegill fish and caught three 20″ smallies, so I don’t think the size of the bait has anything to do with it.

My experience has always been that the smaller fish are more aggressive; could it be that you just need to move slower? Also, I’ve had days when slowing or speeding my presentation resulted in larger fish as well.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

my experience shows that the larger smallies will occupy the best habitat in the area…. these fish are pretty competitive and the larger ones are able to take and hold the prime spots…. on the flip side, they did not get that big by being dumb….. and most of the really large smallies Ive seen taken.. even in small rivers were taken on bait.. usually chubs…..(but not always).. this dont mean you wont/cant take them on artificials…. but the larger fish Ive taken on artificials are USUALLY on somekind of jig/plastic combo or a crank… if I was to target only large fish I would most likely use chubs… and work the best looking spots….

JimW
    SE MN

Keith,

SOunds like you had some fun! First of all, floating can limit time spent hitting a spot hard unless you pull over and spend sometime! Second of all, since the smallies are very competetive, a lot of the time the smaller fish will beat the larger boys to your bait. Hangin’ tough and fishing an active spot a little longer will usually produce a larger fish. Also, hitting good cover and hiding areas adjacent to these active spots could “boat” a beaut!!

ANother thing to try is slowing down your presentation, fishing the bottom with plastics. SPinners and faster moving rigs will attract the faster swimming “smaller” fish.

So next time canoeing and you run into an active spot, pull over and give it more time, allowing the smaller fish to get their hyperactivity out of the way, allowing the true small river brute a chnace at your bait!!!

Thanks for your report! Keep the rods bendin’!!! (i hope this helps) JIm W

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Keith,

Rivereyes is right the bigger fish will hold on the prime areas of a structure! As as example a deeper hole or depression at the head of a riffle area should be a good spot it does not have to be real deep in a lot of the smaller rivers it could only be a 1ft deprssion but to theese fish it is a change in bottom contour and acts as an ambush point for the larger fish. Outside bends of the river with high banks is a good spot also,but one spot a lot of guys will overlook when fishing an outside bend is the inside bend of the river where a sand bar will usually emerg and there is always a key spot on that inside bend that will meet with the deepest water in the area this also serves as a good ambush point in smaller rivers as the bait fish are not always hanging out on the rocks in the outside bends.

Hope this helps! And let us know if you figure em out!

Dustin

JimP
    West Lakeland, MN

My sons and I have been having good luck using 1/2 size buzz baits. You can find them at Fleet Farm. Retreve the lure just fast enough to keep it on top of the water. We have the best luck with the bigger fish at dusk when color is not real important.

P.S. You will need to add a single tailer hook as many times they hit short.

Good Luck

Jim P

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Keith, my experiece has been that the dominant structure will hold the biggest fish in a small stream. You may have to float through, or wade through, several hundred yards of stream until you get to the ideal spot. Once there, spend some time as it may well be worth it. More often than not this dominant spot will be on an outside bend of the stream. It will often include a fallen tree, overhanging bank, or other verticle structure that the bass will relate to for shade (summer time makes this especially important as temps and light are at their max). A couple of casts with a spinner type bait won’t do as the bigger fish are deep within the structure and will not come out after the lure. All you will do is catch the more aggressive smaller fish. Use a slow approach that goes right into their “house”. Try a small jig such as a crappie tube jig or a BPS maribou jig in 1/32, 1/16, or 1/8 oz size, preferably in black or brown. Summetime is crayfish time and you need a bait that looks like the real thing. Let the current dictate the size of your jig as you want it to naturally sweep into the hole. If you are getting hung up often, especially on rocks as the jig drifts, then you are using too heavy of a jig. Expect to lose plenty of these jigs due to the stucture (wood). Fortunately, they are not very expensive. The cast should be made upstream, or at least parallel to the structure you are fishing. Let it wash into the hole as you basically do nothing except keep an eye on the line and let the jig drift with the current. This is not an easy method and you will have to get a feel of what is, and isn’t, a pick up. Positive results are BIG smallies from some of your ideal structures. Remember, do not fight these fish long as the water is warm this time of year and stress levels are at their highest levels. Bring them in and let them go. Hope this helps!!! LOL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.