FLW Outdoors. Anyone else getting dissapointed?

• SLee
    Crystal,MN

Just thought I would see what others are thinking.

I recieved the magazine today…..and you would think it was In-Fisherman or something. Catfish,trout,redfish,kingfish and walleyes?

I thought they were a bass magazine? Is that not what brought FLW to life? I just hate seeing all those other species which I am not interested in.

Whats up with it?

What next? Deer hunting? Crappies? Perch?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Yeah…I’m kind of on both sides of the fence..

I’d like to see primary Bass coverage, but I realize they are trying to cater to all of their tournament anglers…and that demographic includes the above mentioned species..

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Basicly it their tournament magazine and they do have have several species of fish for tournament circuits so they will cover alot more than just bass. As long as it stays thicker [more material] there should still be alot of bass stuff in there. They are trying to expand the coverage on all circuits they have.
    Thanks, Bill

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I agree. Its getting easier and easier to put that magazine down and grab another, when every other page you turn to is a different species etc.

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

Does anyone subscribe to any magazine that focus mainly on Bass? I was looking for a good magazine like that and have not had much luck. In-fisherman is the only one that I get and of course they cover just about every species.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Bassmaster, BASS Times are both good and all bass.

grubby
    Fennimore Wisconsin

It is SAD!
    I could not wait to get it, and I could sit for a couple hours to read, cover to cover. The latest issue was the worst. Virtualy no BFL data.

As for another magazine, I have not found one that is not filled with adds, and a couple of articals!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Bass magazines…..try Walleye Insider I am sure you will find it much more interesting.

I do prefer walleye fishing but I do chase bucketmouths now and then, I get Bassmasters and that is a good mag too.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

I was thinking the same thing myself. I had mentioned it to Robert Vanderson from FLW the other day. My thoughts are that FLW outdoors has become what they are today because of bass fishing. It is great that they showcase those other tournament trails, Redfish etc.. but I think they should have a Saltwater magazine for those anglers. The BFL is the Grassroots of Bass tournament fishing. The anglers of the BFL today are the FLW touring pro’s of tommorow. They cut out the BFL tournamnet section all together. I know that if I win a tournament or place in the top ten, it is nice to see your name in print or your picture in the magazine. This is something to be proud of. I think that FLW has made a mistake of sorts by adding the saltwater trails to the magazine. They are only a small fraction of anglers in a limited geographical area. Bass and Walleye guys are all over the country. I really don’t care to read about who won the kingfish tourney over the weekend, but I am interested in the BFL, Everstart, FLW, and Walleye leauge tourneys because these are people who I know and can relate to like most of you. It is great to see that your friend has done good in the regionals or Who made the cut, etc… I have never seen a kingfish and may never. Just my thoughts.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

BASS and Bassin’ as forementioned. I get the FLW because of the occasional tournament of theirs I fish each year, and it comes with the membership but I would never subscribe to it or buy it off the shelf for reasons mentioned above. I accepted having the walleye stuff mixed in, especially cause there tends to be alot of fimiliar names in those tourneys but when they started clogging the pages up with this stupid redfish crap or whatever they are, I read only small amounts and never pick it up again. It is too bad BFL is not getting the coverage it deserves.

brovarney

I really like BASSWEST. It’s out of California and in a lot of cases has different perspectives and insights.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

The latest issue was the worst.

I don’t know, I did not think it all that bad….. JK
    I can understand your concern comepletely. Its got to be some one in the number crunching department saying…..”Just think of the sales we could get if we broadened our coverage!”

g love
    La Crescent, MN

Does Bassmaster come on the shelf these days? I used to subscribe as a BASS member and that was the only way to get Bassmaster. However, I stopped subscribing cuz I had way too much other reading for college. Just curious if that’s changed…I wouldn’t mind picking up the occasional issue off the Barnes and Noble shelf.

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Well I am glad I am not the only one who is concerned about the future of the magazine.

I went back to look at it and see if I had jumped to conclusions. But….I think my second take on things are worse than the first.

Tournament coverage of the saltwater fish was expected. However….the articles on Catfish and speckled trout and brown trout and great white sharks leaves me a little unsettled.

For years and years we have always been told how bass tournaments were going to grow. More coverage,media time,sponsors and payouts. Now maybe this is happening….but if it was actually growing…….would not the magazine have more bass tournament articles and coverage than less?

So….I wonder whats really going on?

Maybe….and I am just hoping here….that the magazine will split after they work out a few bugs….and we will have one magazine(even bigger) devoted exclusivly to bass fishing and tournaments.

I guess we will find out. Anyone have any inside info whats really going to happen?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.