RATTLIN TRAPS

• flick
    Alma WI

what kind of trap does everyone throw?? What color have u done best on??

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I like the original Rat-L-Trap. I have tried frenzy and rattlin raps., but I like and catch more fish on the original. It all comes down to personal choice and what you have confidence in.
    For colors, I like chrome with black back and then chrome with blue back. I want to try some in a craw color and see how they work.
    I have done better on Rat-L-Traps in the spring.
    Glenn

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I have found that the bill lewis ones sound the best. I catch more fish on them than any of the other ones that I have bought.

uglybass
    Stoddard, WI

By Far the best for me are the chrome with black backed Rattlin Rapalas(size 7)!!! I had my wife pick up 10 more of them at Cabela’s, they were so hot!! My main problem with them, is that a lot of times if the northern beat the bass to them, they like them too much(suck em all the way in)!!! If that is in fact a problem?? And for $2.00 a pop, they are the best deal!!!

I actually quit using them a few days on my trip up north, because it felt like I was cheating.

BassDude
    Verona Wisconsin

Personally Ilike to use the original Rat’l trap. The color that Ilike the most is the chrome with a black back and red belly. It catches walleye, largemouth, smallmmouth, and even some northern pike. I found out it catches more fish in the spring at least for me.
    Greg

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

From a post on this site a month ago..and on our guide site under CASTING THE ROCKS

This is a huge subject but I will just tell you what we do and how we do it. Our go to lure for shallow rocks is any style of rattlin rap…trap, etc. including generics. This is primarily a bass technique and this is how we have been getting our smallmouth and largemouth right next to each other IN THE MAIN CHANNEL. It is amazingly productive and amazingly hard on baits.(plan to lose 10-15 a day).Walmart and Cabela’s and others are closing out rattlin raps right now(Mid June 2002-$1.99??). Also Captain Hook’s in Genoa Wisconsin has a line of everyday $2.99 trap type lures. James mentioned in a more recent post that Mills Fleet farm has them also. Every color they carry is productive, but I prefer chrome,Original shad when I can find it ,and also crayfish patterns(they have three). Anywhere on the Mississippi channel; wingdams,riprap shorelines, and front sections of backwaters you will find rocks. The all time most productive spots are the south end of closing dams that have rocks closest to the shore exposed. The casting is pretty simple. We use spincasters and aim about three feet upstream from where the rocks are exposed, at a 45 degre angle to the south. Your goal is to hook up with any fish right on the point or at angle just behind the end of the exposed rocks. I still haven’t found one that doesn’t hold some fish. It only takes a cast or two to see if they are there right then and minnows spraying tells you right away if the fish are actively feeding. Your secondary casts should be to the face of the above water section just in front of the exposed rocks, and third, (if you can get to the back side of the closing dam),along the backside of the same exposed rocks. I guess the exposed rocks part just comes as part and parcel with shallow rocks so it is more of a quick indicator than anything else. You will notice as water rises and drops these locations actually appear and disappear, but we find a much better percentage of fish on them when they have rocks showing. If you use this technique you will find that you will very quickly find out what water level is best at each individual location, both for fishing and not losing cracks. We have some that you grab the fish in 4 inches of water and some where 1 1/2 feet is better. Like I have said before on this site it is all about “TIME ON THE WATER”. LAWRENCE

CLICK FOR OUR GUIDE PAGES

flick
    Alma WI

Has anyone tried the matzuo traps or crankbaits?? I have used the poppers they make an they out produce the others. They have the right characteristic to make them look good..
    Hope i didnt confuse anyone there.

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Flick, I bought a couple of them at Gander because they were on clearance last week ($2.97 per–may not be any left by now. They worked great. No crankbait-related problems like poor action or not running straight. Fished on pool 2 Wednesday with them and boated eight eyes, biggest was 4.1# I like ’em. If they’re runnin’ cheap I’ll definitely buy more.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Lure preference is really a personal confidence thing.

From a lure mechanics thing — what separates many of the wiglers where talk’n about is their width. You’ll notice the Frenzy and the Rap are wider at the nose. Here lies why some prefer the original RTrap and the others ! The RTrap comes thru the water with much less restance. This trait gives the lure much better feel and responsiveness.

Most guys above the Mason/Dixson line, throw those lures with a 6′ med. action spinning rod ! Here’s the experiment !
    Throw a Frenzy or a Rap out and watch the rod tip bend ! Now throw a RTrap out —— big difference. That’s what I’m talk’n about. Where talk’n effeciency here. but now you can start talk’n about the difference between how a “bait caster”
    handles ’em as opposed to “spinning”
    Man I can get carried away—-sorry !

Kensyl Reading——EFN ProStaff
    Ol’ Miss Guide Service

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

You said man can I get carried away however you finish your post without giving us your reasoning behind why you use spinning gear rather than Baitcasting. I can compare the too however I am unable to read your mind and since I get the feeling you think spinning gear is so far above baitcasting I would like further explanation. If you are arguing that you get better feel, Than I suggest picking up the right bait casting rod, Better castablility, Than I would resolve you problem with line diameter, better bait action, well than I would ask why and what dynamics of the bait, rod , reel , and line combo are giving you such different results. I eagerly anticipate your reply.
    Jc

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Jeremy, I maybe should have clarified myself. ” I hate spinning gear”. I’m old school. I even do 90% of my Eye fishing with “Bcasting” gear !

That’s exactly what I’m say’n ” Casting gear gives you much better efficiency” . But as you’ll see with this www everybody has a different approach and oppinion. That’s what’s great about this www

Kensyl Reading———-EFN ProStaff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.