POOL 2 REPORT

• skeets
    Apple Valley,MN

What a difference a little patience makes locatoin fish!

Today I spent the better part of the day fishing the backwaters of pool2 below the 494 bridge. The water temp was 60 degrees main river and 67 to 69 degrees in the backwaters.

To my suprise there were NO FISH BEDDING! However, there were still fish to be caught. With no pictures these fish do not get justice but I’ll tryo to explain.

2 fish between 4 and 5 pounds that were absolutely LOADED with eggs and the rest ( 5-7) were an sverage of three pounds each. What a suprise for largemouth on pool 2!

All the fish were caught on a white BOOYAH spinnerbait and OUTKAST jigs. Swimming the pro-staff jigs was a secondary pattern vs. the spinnerbait. Fish were coming off naked wood. By that I mean, no weeds, no current and virtually no shade. Although you had to still work hard the bite was slow but steady. Slow rolling the spinnerbait was the key pattern, and double colorado was a must have.

Deep water was definitely a good thing to have close by but they were not relating to the deep wood available but the shallow wood adjacent to deep water. What little rip rap I found in these areas seemed to hold fish as well. Flipp’n bite was non existent with all the fish coming on a swimming presentation. With water temps on the rise I would give these fish 3-5 days before they are bedding.

Although pool 2 is not to well known its great largemouth population this area has some definite qaulity!

Parting question: Although at times bass can seem to bite better on certain colors, is it actually the color or the profile of the bait the majority of the time in stained water?

Good Luck to all fellow BFL anglers heading to Lacross!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

thanks Skeets, quality Bass in early May sure sounds like fun. did you get any pics at all. got to keep that camera in the boat. Jack.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Skeets, keep makeing post like that and the secret pool of P-2 will get out. P-2 is a great largesmouth,smallmouth and white bass pool.Possbly the most under fished for bass.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Skeets, let’s go fish pool 2 sometime. Last time I was down there I ran up the back channel to the greycloud backwaters. Fun fishing, but a scary ride

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.