took a beating but keep on ticking

• louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

mother nature threw the ole curve ball at us yesterday, with the high winds on the river yesterday, but our struggles didnt start there lol!!
    arrived at nicks aka “F2L” around 6 bells and we had some issues hitching his boat. that drive way is kinda tricky, but we made it happend and was on the road by 630am. we put in at the wabasha marina,and our plan was to get on some crappies, that ive been hearing and reading about. keep in mind that this was my first trip on the river this season, so i was kinda in the dark, and also i was so pumped to go that i couldnt sleep the night before and was up since 130am that morning. i felt like a school girl going to the prom lol!!!
    any way launched on was on our way.. hit the first spot and some things seemed to have changed since nicks last outing a week ago. water levels have droped a bit, and guess what the wind started to crank it up. kinda tuff to throw a 1/16 oz jig in 20 mph wind lol so we had to make a decision, and i honestly cant say it was a bad one, but we paid dearly.. making a long run to lake city against a 20mph wind staight in your face will kick your “azz” did i mention my back kills right now… hoping to get out of the wind a little we fished the lakecity marina area inside ..outside concrete wall… piers rock walls for a womping to 6 inch sunnys.. ok 3 hours has past and im starting to worry, plus i think im getting “seasick”.. in my head all i can think is im tired cant find fish and this wind sucks, but never said anything, but every half hour or so nick would say “dont worry lou we will find something. those words help….

more decisions to make ..head back south .. made it just down stream of maplesprings, fishing riprap with deep water and bam.. i popped a nice walleye. im wide a wake know and i nick was so kind to let me work this area in his boat while he man’d the trolling moter.. after each pass i would fire up the boat and get us back in position (teamwork) we found a pattern 1/8th oz brown & black harjigs no meat flipped into the rocks.
    we didnt blaze a trail but did put several sheepies a walleye and a nice smally in the boat.. by then tried a spot where some northerns were caught to salvage the rest of the day being that the crappies hopes were long gone.. for the last 2 hours we put quite a few snakes and big bass in the boat.. with some really nice ones coming off at the boat.
    we were throwing northland weed runners with white skirts.. i rigged mine with a charchuese twisty and it seamed to outfish the bare naked one

overall turned out to be a real good time… thanks nick.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Way to stick it out through some tough conditions. Looks like you ended up with a great mix of fish by day’s end.

Steveinsene
    SE Nebraska

Sweet report and great looking fish.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Nice going! Looks like you guys had fun.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice looking fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.