Bass Lake – Grand Rapids

• toddrun

Hi All,

Anyone have any fishing or site seeing information they want to share for Bass Lake North of Grand Rapids?

I booked a last minute weeks family vacation to a resort on the lake. Kind if had to take what I could get. Apparently COVID helped with resort bookings, not scaring people off. Every resort I called was basically booked up through the summer, good for them. I wanted a resort somewhat near to Duluth, as I will be delivering my daughter to UMD at the end of the week.

Anyways, I have no knowledge or experience of the Grand Rapids area, sight seeing or fishing. Casual Google reading says that it is a family friendly lake with lots of panfish, some BIG Bluegills at times, and lots of Norther Pike (Snot Rockets) for fun. I am a Walleye guy at heart, and it sounds like they can be found, nice sized, if you know when and where, so need to figure that out in 7 days.

Anything anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I got some walleye years ago around an island on the north side , haven’t fished there in years in the summer. Nice bluegill in there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thinking that’s a 5 sunfish limit lake also. I fished it once and did zilch.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I ice fish there once or twice a winter in the south basin for panfish. Glens is right five is the limit. The strech between the two basins is shallow and probably a good bet for bass and bluegills. It does has tullibee in the north basin so might be some large pike around out there.

toddrun

Thanks for the info.

I was aware of the 5 sunfish limit, and I am OK with that as we usually only keep what we are going to eat anyways. Was hoping to catch enough for a couple of meals, hoping for Walleye first, then Sunfish, and if need be Snot Rockets (Pike). Other than that it will just be sport fishing, catch and release, and site seeing.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

The beakline on the north end out in front of Hidden Haven Resort an north towards the weedline always holds a few eyes. Also to the southeast of that resort is a sunken island not marked on most maps but visible via satellite. Also like stated around the island hold eyes year around. This late in the years I would work 20-25 feet of water just off cabbage weed edges.

toddrun

The family trip starts in a week, so just checking back one more time to see if there are any hints for the North side of Bass Lake near Grand Rapids. Much bigger lake that I thought finally getting a chance to pick up a lake map. I figure on hitting up a local bait shop in Grand Rapids, hopefully someone there is willing to share helpful hints. I will definitely be seeking Walleye, but for the family I figure on trying to find some biting Gills or troll around the lake taking in the sites and hopefully get a few Pike to entertain. I am not much of a Bass fisherman, but if we are in the weeds looking for Gills, my son can probably toss some bass baits around as well. Just hope for good weather, good times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.