Baseball cards

• wkw
    Participant

Any collectors here ? Cleaned out the attic and found approximately 1-2000 baseball cards. I think most are from late eighties-early nineties. Any idea what to do with them ? Thx
    WKW

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

There was another thread on this in the past couple of years, I’d use the IDO search function to take a look.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Baseball Card Values and Buyers – Where to Start?

Ryan Wilson
    Participant

Find 1-2000 kids with bicycles. Lol

I have 3 consecutive complete Topps boxes from around Strasburg’s and Posey’s rookie years (2010-ish) in my closest that I’m hoping someday will have a few cards in them worth something. Nothing special really as far as I know other than being complete box sets. I’m a tigers fan though so it doesn’t take much to entertain me.

Go through em, you never know. Not worth much as a lot-group but there might be a hidden gem if you know who to look for from that era.

Deuces
    Participant

I got a pile downstairs hidden for a rainy day, don’t expect much out of em.

That thread pretty much sums it all up.

Would be fun for people to post their highest valued card, think one was some type of gold foil Frank Thomas or Roberto alomar card. Last time I checked that was when you still had to buy a magazine to look at the values…..

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

I used to collect when i was a kid. Still have a few gems. 1967 Bob Gibson i remember. Have an old Frank Robinson card and a Nolan Ryan one from the 70s too. Values took a dive in the 90s and will likely never recover. My dad works as an appraiser and seller of antiques and collectibles. Im sure he would be happy to take a look at them if you go that route.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Late 80’s and into the 90’s the market got flooded with hundreds of companies trying to cash in. There are very few cards worth any considerable amount of money.
    I have thousands in my basement and when I went through them, I think I could make a couple 100 bucks. Pretty sad…….

Ryan Wilson
    Participant

When I was into it, Topps was doing their diamond promotion where in every pack there was a code that was linked to a random real-life card from Topps history and they mailed them to you. I got about a dozen or so, still nothing fancy, but a few are from the 50’s and 60’s and I think they are pretty cool for the sake of nostalgia. All of them together, at the time, I think we’re “worth” around $30. I also got all the tigers die cut diamond-series cards they were doing at the same time. They are pretty neat but not worth much other than my feelings.

mnrabbit
    Participant
    South Central Minnesota

When I was a kid, say about 1995-2005 (Ages 5-15), I was very into collecting and organizing sports cards. That was all that I wanted for gifts or anything. I have more than I know what to do with. A few years ago my parents moved and those were in the closet of my childhood bedroom.. I couldn’t quite let them go yet I also don’t really care to ever look through them. I think the best bet is probably just to sell them all in a lot together. Maybe pull out a few of the pricier or autographed ones to keep or sell individually.

hnd
    Participant

if most are within that time period they aren’t worth much. there may be a few in there with a bit of value but even then not really much. Cards were mass produced and if you took a walk down your neighborhood, i would venture a guess that 1 out of every 3 houses on your block also have a storage tote full of cards those years. Scarcity is the key. in 2005 i took a bunch of cards to a local shop and was offered 30% what they were valued at online. When asked why only 30% for a handful of say ken griffey jr rookie cards, he pulled down a cardboard card carrier that was full of the same ken griffey jr rookie card.

I pulled the high dollar cards and comics out of my collection and sold them to pay for an electronics upgrade on my boat. And the rest I gave away.

tangler
    Inactive

My parents just sold their house so I retrieved the last of my junk from the attic this weekend. I took all the cards out of their sleeves and 3-ring binders and I gave those to my kid to use for his stupid Pokemon crap. All the cards hit the recycling bin.

This was my second pass through. My collection was really strong in NFL rookie cards from the early-mid 80s thru the 90s — for HOFers like Marino, Elway, Rice, Favre etc. Those got me maybe $25 each when I sold them on ebay in 2012. Had they been PSA graded and all that crap I could’ve done pretty well but I was happy to get a few hundred bucks all in.

Deuces
    Participant

Big hurt is in that hologram somewhere, hangs in my laundry room!

Pretty sure I could sell the frame for more than the card lol.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200224_184010324.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.