Barn Swallow Removal

• Zach H

How do I get rid of these things???? They built a needy under my deck, and now we don’t dare step out the patio door without getting dive bombed. They have destroyed our summer enjoyment area and it is making me mad. I am turning to the great people of IDO to come up with a solution to my problem.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Get a fake owl and put it near by, you will have to remove any nests also.

Riverruns

Without them enjoy the bugs. They are eating machines and also kinda cool. They’ll be gone in a couple months.

ozzyky
    On water

I personally like them. They are dive bombing for bugs. Granted they get pretty close at times.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Some of the old pioneer books tell that after they’ve cleared the land, houses would be built for those birds, and if you had the money to buy them, or knew a neighbor to transplant a couple they’d bring em in just for the reasons stated above, bug killers. Can’t imagine living in a world without bug spray.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Barn Swallows I’m guessing? Back where I come from the the old saying (based on actual observations) was that wherever the swallow chose to build it’s nest would not be taken by a Tornado!

There’s a old barn up on the hill behind where I live now. Swallows there. I look forward to them every year. When I’m out mowing, they come on their bombing runs catching bugs of all kinds, getting very close. They are nice birds.

BUT > I understand your frustration. After the young have fledged, you should be good to take down their mud nests and close off the area they chose to build, which will discourage them from rebuilding next year. The young could be right on the verge of leaving the nests very soon, depending on where you live….

Hang in there )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.